Mike's Cabrio Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

Apropo not a lot, some days ago I had similar probs with posts by Robert re his Berly -- ghosts in the works?? -- very strange!!

Comment

DC / Tony

Have you tried changing your screen settings to maroon and grey justto see if you can then read the text?
      Last edited by Mike; 11-08-13, 08:48 PM.

Comment

errr... Mike, if they can't see the text how will they see your message?

Perhaps you need smoke signals or something?

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        DC / Tony

Have you tried changing your screen settings to marron and grey justto see if youcan then read the text?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert in Cumbria View Post
          errr... Mike, if they can't see the text how will they see your message?

Perhaps you need smoke signals or something?

Hi Robert

My message to DC is not quite as stupid as it may sound (lol).
          I copied an extract from another thread, which presumably had a different font setting so when I pasted it into my font (and I'm guessing here) it probably created white lettering on a white background.

I assume DC, and everyone else can read my normal posts, because they are in a standard font on a standard back ground.

DC has not responded as to whether he can see the words if he changes the colour scheme, but I would like to know........?

Mike
          Last edited by Mike; 11-08-13, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I realise that Mike!, it just sounded illogical at a simplistic level... Me, being simple had to make a little fun of it!

This forum software seems to have some interesting anomalies, I haven't seen one forum free of some sort of peculiarity. Seems nothing is perfect.

Comment

this isn't down to the forum software but the 'skin' we use as the default marlin style. Mikes copying took black text and put it on a charcoal background, a slight variance in someone's computer screen can render it invisible.

Is the test booked yet Mike?

Comment

Come on keep it pc , we can't talk about skin colours can we?
                where do I find the smilies then?

Comment

The Smilies are here^^^^^^^

Not that it matters but they just happen to be yellow...

Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 14.06.33.jpg

Me thinks we are getting a tad OT... Sorry Mike!

Comment

think i'll put my head in a brown paper bag i don't get anything like that^^^^^^^
                    dohhhhh technology!!!!
                    Last edited by cameronfurnival; 12-08-13, 02:57 PM.

Comment

yes you do... also - look to the right of the box you type in there are a few you can just clik on. If not give me a PM and I will check for you.

Comment

nope just get a quick reply box maroon banner, grey suuround white border black panel -- oh for the ricard!! its nearly time for an appero, found 'em under advanced label -- silly me, now where's the ricard!!

Comment

Originally posted by tony.stott2 View Post
                          nope just get a quick reply box maroon banner, grey suuround white border black panel -- oh for the ricard!! its nearly time for an appero, found 'em under advanced label -- silly me, now where's the ricard!!

Hey Tony

This is what the Forum is about - learning how to use IT as well as messing around with Marlin's!

I just wish a few more would try and join in the fun.....................

Mike
                          Last edited by Mike; 13-08-13, 02:29 PM.

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me how jobs become inter-dependent.

I have finished my electrics, so theoretically I could fit the dash.

But to fit the dash for the final time before the IVA I need to fit the sound proof felt and carpet beneath the centre console and along the transmission tunnel
                            To do this I need to remove the rings for the gearstick, and handbrake
                            To do this I need to drop the prop shaft to get at the fixings under the tunnel.
                            To do this I need to remove the diff - to be able to pull the prop shaft out through the rear bulkhead hole

( I wanted to change the diff anyway, and strengthen the diff carrier bracket, so its not all bad news)

To remove the diff I need to remove the boot floor and the petrol tank, and so it goes on.......

............until finally, with all these steps backwards done (again!) I'm now ready to start fitting my carpets.

Woooooow! - its scary cutting up expensive bits of felt and carpet!

"Measure twice - cut once" is my mantra, but even by cutting out paper templates to get the final shape, I find I have to be ultra careful about marking out silhouettes in reverse and remember which side up the carpet is relative to my template!

But its exciting - this really does feel like I'm on the home straight now:

Cutting the 1/2" thick felt for the front of ther transmission tunnel to reduce noise, vibration and heat from the engine/exhaust.

IMG_4701.jpg
                            1/2" Felt marked out and cut ready for gluing to the transmission tunnel sides

Although its not a big part completed, I am really happy with the way this bit of the carpetting has turned out. As its the first, and likely to be the most difficult, I was not sure how well I could make carpet fit around compound curves, but by making paper templates, then cutting the felt/carpet and trial fitiing (and adjusting several times!) it has gone on very well.

I deliberately cut the felt 20mm short all around the perimeter of the carpet, so that it creates an under shelf along the floor. This will allow the floor carpet edges to be pushed under the overhanging vertical carpet, making the floor edges slightly less critical for neatness as they'll be hidden.

IMG_4703.jpg

This spray on adhesive was suggested to me by an upholsterer I used for the door cards, as it is never lumpy, and I find it is brilliant to use (and easy to wipe off the over spray using white spirit).

For the very sharp eyed, I have fitted felt to the top of my centre tunnel section, but not to the sides, as width is at an absolute premium for my Audi A4 seats - even after reducing my tunnel down to only 95mm wide: even the thickness of the carpet will press against my seat sides, but hopefully it will all still fit when I come to re-fit them!?!
                            Just have to keep fingers crossed on that one - but its like so much of my car - I have pushed the limits all the way.

I've also trimmed the edges off the Sierra heater at the front/sides, as these would certainly have failed IVA unless covered up - and to have done so would have reduced the leg room.
                            Last edited by Mike; 22-08-13, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

............................... I've also trimmed the edges off the Sierra heater at the front/sides, as these would certainly have failed IVA unless covered up - and to have done so would have reduced the leg room.
                              Hi Mike. Good to see the finishing straight (almost) in sight!

You wil need to put some form of elbow / deflector on the sawn off heater ducts or you and the passenger will get fried legs! I have the unmolested Sierra ducts and had to put a duct tape patch over the outermost holes (temporary fix 3 years ago!) so solve the problem. I had an idea to duct a thin flat pipe under the leg area (like the later Sierras used for the rear passengers) but so far haven't got around to it. Maybe worth considering before you carpet / felt the floor? Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                                Hi Mike. Good to see the finishing straight (almost) in sight!

You will need to put some form of elbow / deflector on the sawn off heater ducts or you and the passenger will get fried legs! I have the unmolested Sierra ducts and had to put a duct tape patch over the outermost holes (temporary fix 3 years ago!) so solve the problem. I had an idea to duct a thin flat pipe under the leg area (like the later Sierras used for the rear passengers) but so far haven't got around to it. Maybe worth considering before you carpet / felt the floor? Peter.

Hi Peter

The thought did cross my mind, but I decided that if I needed a duct to take the heat away from our legs, it will be above the transmission tunnel and face forward to force air around the front of the footwell as I have fitted a centre duct to make use of the Sierra's rear facing centre vent:

IMG_4707.jpg

The aluminium plate is only there to hold the oval plastic ducting at the right height to fit the dash - its impossible to offer the dash up and hold it in place at the same time!

Last edited by Mike; 30-08-13, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X