Berlinetta build and restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Berlinetta build and restoration

Thanks. Venhill is one company that I am looking at. Good to get a recommendation.

Comment

Hi Scott
      When I renewed my Hoses recently I used a company called HEL
      If you Google Brake Hoses they pop up quite early on and on their site you can design your own adding from a range of fittings to suit and even the colour if you wish
      I found them very easy to deal with and reasonably priced
      Regards
      Bryan
      Last edited by bryannewell; 15-03-16, 09:40 PM.
      Stapley Bryan

Comment

Thanks Bryan.

Comment

Hi Scott

John Sammut used HEL for his Sportster and thought both their service and hoses were top quality - he said they were brilliant to to deal with.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Comment

Last week, when I was fitting the brake calipers, I had to fit and remove the wheels several times to check clearances etc. It occurred to me that the wheel studs were a bit neat for length, so I did some checking. The wheel nuts turn just over 5 revolutions from being tight until they are removed. A standard wheel nut for a steel wheel turns 8 times from being flush until removal, I reasoned that this is really the recommended amount. So I decided to fit longer wheel studs.

Here are 2 standard studs at the top and 2 longer at the bottom.

1481.jpg

The old studs were removed by a couple of medium hits with a hammer, with a heavy sledge hammer on the rear of the hub to take some of the shock away from the wheel bearing. The new studs were pulled into position using a wheel nut and a spacer.

With the new studs fitted the nuts turn 11 times which should be much safer. The wheels were supplied by Marlin and there was no mention of longer studs being required but at least now I have one less thing to worry about when I'm driving.

Comment

After looking at several companies for braided brake lines I ordered a set from HEL on Thurs and they arrived yesterday (Wed). I liked the fact that they have stainless fittings as standard, the website is easy to use and the price (when compared to other custom hoses with stainless fittings) is competitive. HEL have a fixed price of £30 inc VAT while other companies have a more complicated system. I think this is a wee bit expensive, especially as Sierra rear disc brakes require two extra hoses on the calipers, but they are made to order and should last a lifetime.

1486.jpg

HEL hoses are covered with a choice of coloured or transparent pvc, I went for the latter. The black heat shrink on each end is a no cost option for extra protection against damage due to flexing where the hose meets the fitting.

Comment

Fantastic news! In January I sent off the V5 for the Marlin notifying DVLA of the engine change and colour change to blue. I was very apprehensive about this as I have heard stories of needing the V5 from the donor car and engineers reports etc, but I decided that honesty was the best policy. After over two months I have just received the V5 all present and correct.

Comment

I wanted to use Kunifer for the hard brake pipes as it's more durable than copper. The drawback, apart from costing more, is that it is harder to work and so requires good quality tools. I managed to borrow some professional brake pipe tools.

1491.jpg

Kunifer has a reputation for being tough to work with, but I found it ok and after a couple of evenings I had made and fitted a set of pipes. I should now have working brakes, fingers crossed!

Comment

I am lucky to have a 1/4 mile private farm road going past my garage, so it would be rude not to go for a drive!

First drive for 16 years!
                      Last edited by scott h; 10-04-16, 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Great news Scott, a good feeling isn't it !
                        DC

Comment

Handbrake. I had the thorn in the side of many kit car builds to deal with next - how to shorten the cable. I searched on many forums but could not find an easy satisfactory answer. So then I thought what industry may need a quick and easy way to make wire rope cable to length? I thought the construction industry. To cut a long story short I found this gadget on Ebay. It's called a swageless eye terminal, and it looked promising so I ordered one. Unfortunately the smallest available was for 3mm wire and the cable in question may just be less but it was worth a shot.

Here we see it next to the cable end.
                          1496.jpg

The first job was to elongate the eyehole using a dremmel so that it would fit on the caliper lever. I fitted the cable and cut it to length, it has a plastic coat so I removed some of it to let the jaws of the device grip the cable. Unfortunately the cable was just too small and at the first pull of the handbrake it let go. I then tried some solder on the cable to build it up a bit, after first fraying the cable to give the solder a good hold. Eureka! it seems to be holding. I took the car for a wee drive and I am able to skid the rear wheels using the handbrake. I will give it some more vigorous testing but so far so good.

Here is it in place.
                          1501.jpg

Ideally if I could find one of these to suit 2mm cable I think it could be a perfect solution, but as it stands it does work after a bit of tinkering but is it better than other ideas out there?

Comment

Have you tried speedy cables?
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

did you use siver solder? more robust than 'plumbers' stuff however needsa slightly higher tempwhich mightcompromise its strength ie it may become brittle!

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                                Have you tried speedy cables?
                                I wanted to try to find a way that was easy for the average builder to do. But if all else fails I would get one made by the likes of speedy cables. So far what I've done seems fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X