Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Berlinetta build and restoration

Originally posted by scott h View Post
    I got two oblong offcuts of aluminum from ebay, so there was only one way to use them. It sounds like the grain would be important for structural use though.
    Nope, not just important for structural use.

Keep the internal radius of the bend to a minimum of 2 x the thickness of the sheet. It’s a rough rule and varies depending on the actual grade of Aluminium, sometimes up to 6 x the thickness.

Especially on thin sheet, do not use a scriber to mark the position of a bend, it exponentially increases the chance of a failure.

i think you would be surprised at the level of vibration, induced by the motion of the car, that could lead to fatigue cracking.

On a Roadster, the bulkhead carrying the pedal box is subject to around 400 Newtons under heavy braking.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 30-01-18, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Headlights. When I originally built the Berli I fitted chrome headlights, which I preferred to the glassfibre bowls supplied in the kit. Unfortunately they have been attacked by rust over the years.

1891.jpg

So they have been replaced with stainless items. Here they are mounted to the bar, which has been painstakingly mounted to the new wings.

1896.jpg

Sidelights. There is a stylish replacement for the standard rubbolite items. This first came to my notice on this forum and I have just copied what other members have done. The lights are actually aftermarket side repeaters for certain Range Rover models.

The standard lights.

1901.jpg

The lights (which come with orange bulbs but no holders), bulb holders and clear bulbs (in this case LED's).

1906.jpg

An adapter was made from stainless steel and attached with stainless screws.

1911.jpg

The light snaps in position and the bulb holder is a push fit in the rear.

1916.jpg

The parts required.
      Error Free (Canbus Safe). CAN-bus 501 T10 Capless 5SMD Bulb. These may flash when you first unlock the car / turn the ignition on. This is the car checking the circuit and with LED's requiring very little power the will illuminate where a normal bulb will not.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Crystal Chrome Side Repeaters Range Rover L322 Clear Vogue Supercharged at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!
      Last edited by scott h; 31-01-18, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I spent a couple of evenings rubbing the paint down on parts of the bonnet that were bubbling up. I thought that I would leave the rest to the painter, for fear of doing the wrong thing. Then I discovered that the work place of a pal has a chemical tank where they strip alloy wheels. He offered to dip the bonnet, and here is the result. I had already removed the centre hinge and refitted it after cleaning and painting with primer, so I will have to do that again, but I think it was a good move.

20180217_170227-1632x1224.jpg

Comment

Excellent results

Comment

I pushed the Berli out into the sunshine at the weekend.

20180421_133942-1632x1224.jpg

The truth is that it has been a frustrating couple of months trying to find someone willing to paint the car. Anyway, I finally got a painter organized but he is busy, his current jobs being a Reliant Scimitar and a Triumph Stag. He comes recommended by a couple of trusted friends but I really hope that he will be able to start soon. I've been doing jobs like mounting the interior light and thinking about bonnet stays, so I've not been idle but I just want it painted!

Comment

I pushed the Berli out into the sunshine at the weekend.

[ATTACH]9806[/ATTACH]

The truth is that it has been a frustrating couple of months trying to find someone willing to paint the car. Anyway, I finally got a painter organized but he is busy, his current jobs being a Reliant Scimitar and a Triumph Stag. He comes recommended by a couple of trusted friends but I really hope that he will be able to start soon. I've been doing jobs like mounting the interior light and thinking about bonnet stays, so I've not been idle but I just want it painted!
              Looking good Scott - it is unbelievable what a good coat of paint can then do to the finish! I feel your pain looking for someone to paint your pride and joy - finding someone you know will be good is difficult : finding someone who charges a realistic price makes it even more difficult.
              - I can recommend the painter I used - same as Simon Gregory and GOO, but he's a long way South for you, as he's in Daventry : it would be worth the transport costs though.

Pleased to see you have reached this stage and look forward to seeing it at Stoneleigh! (...... this year? - unpainted?)
              ATB
              Mike

Comment

The painter has promised to make a start in the middle of May, at last. Meanwhile I mounted the interior light.

1921.jpg

The housing is attached to the hard top mounting bolts at the front, and the tab at the rear will be stuck to the roof with sikaflex. The headlining should cover the whole thing leaving a flush fitting light.

Comment

At long last I took the Berlinetta to the paint shop today.

20180624_125000-1632x1224.jpg

Comment

That's one thing I won't have time to do before I go to Classic Le Mans.

Can't wait for the next picture.

Adrian

At long last I took the Berlinetta to the paint shop today.

[ATTACH]10032[/ATTACH]

Comment

The painter has made a start, he sent these pics today.

IMG-20180723-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20180725-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180725-WA0007.jpg

Comment

Looking good!
                        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

More paintshop pics.

IMG-20180728-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180728-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20180728-WA0001.jpg
                          IMG-20180728-WA0004.jpg

Comment

looking good!

Comment

News just in. Colour coat today, pics this evening.

Comment

Just when I decided it was going to look really fashionably cool in matt black.

I couldn’t resist telling the proud owner of a matt black Chelsea tractor that it would probably polish up alright. He was not amused.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X