Berlinetta build and restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Berlinetta build and restoration

Looking very smart! The trip to Stoneleigh can be your shakedown run! That will give you a couple of extra hours for reassembly and checking. 😎

Comment

Fantastic job there Scott

You don't really need sleep between now and Stoneleigh anyway

See you there

Best Wishes DC

Comment

Looks spiffing. I recon those speakers will massage your tired shoulders on the way.
        Paul

Comment

It's been a mad week trying to get the Berly on the road. First the radiator cowl was fitted, followed by the drivers side wings.

20190418_230637-1632x1224.jpg

Then the passenger side wings.

20190420_002520-1632x1224.jpg

20190419_184443-1632x1224.jpg

This stage was reached by about Monday, and so I optimistically decided to book an MOT for Thursday. I still had all the lights to fit and wire up, bumpers, bonnet, door mirrors, wipers, fit new steering wheel and a few other bits and bobs. Inspite of my best efforts and some valuable help from a couple of friends working until the wee small hours Mon, Tue and Wed, we missed the deadline. All was not lost though a huge effort got the Marlin ready for a rearanged test today, Friday, all be it minus the rear bumpers and running board treads. We also ran out of bolts for the wings and had to use mild steel items while I ordered more stainless ones to be fitted post MOT.
          Last edited by scott h; 26-04-19, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Come on I can't take the suspense, did it pass?

Adrian

Comment

It did pass! The truth is late last night my windows 10 laptop was being a pain so I only wrote half of what I had intended. More later.

Comment

Congratulations

Adrian

Comment

Looking awesome!

Comment

Well done..
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Following on from my MOT I thought that I would share this pic of the brake test sheet.

20190502_174855-1632x1224.jpg

When the parking brake was tested the result was 30%. I saw the tester look twice and I thought it was a fail. However, his double take was because it was a really good result! The pass mark is 15%.

The next interesting thing is the front to rear balance. I fitted disc rear brakes but I was concerned that they may be too strong and so I also fitted an adjustable limiter in the rear line. The test shows that I need to limit the rears a bit, just a pity that I didn't get a chance to do it during the test.

The next thing that I noticed are the axle weights, which shows the car to be heavier on the rear, and this is without a spare wheel, rear bumpers and little fuel.

Now the not so good news, I'm afraid time has beaten me as I tried to get the Marlin ready for Stoneleigh this weekend. I have put in the hours in the last couple of weeks, often until midnight, but there is just too much left to do. I will be there as a spectator on both days but I am disappointed not to have the car there.
                      Last edited by scott h; 02-05-19, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Good progress, and a good effort. I too tried to get JRR there but too many 'potential major' issue to risk the run up there.
                        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I took a snapshot of my Cabrio’s recent test. Similar results to yours. I’m not exactly sure what the various numbers are. It gives two weights for each wheel and two overall weights. I assume the two kgf measurements for each wheel relate to toe in/out the third on the rear being the handbrake.

With the rear mounted trunk fully laden, a full tank and two plump passengers Millie’s handling is not as good as usual.

Sorry you can’t bring your car to Stoneleigh but hope to see you there.
                          Paul

IMG_8728.JPG

Comment

I assumed that the Marlin would be slightly heavier at the front, never having seen it weighed before.

The last couple of weeks has been like a scene from so many car restoration tv shows, where they always seem to have a deadline to meet. Where is Edd China when you need him?
                            Last edited by scott h; 03-05-19, 08:37 AM.

Comment

At long last I took the Marlin for a first drive in 19 years, not counting the MOT. After a mad rush trying to make it to Stoneleigh things calmed down a bit, and I decided to get the Marlin finished (are they ever finished?) before driving it. First stop was for fuel, then I did a big circle which has several short cuts home incase of any problems. I'm pleased to report that I covered 40 miles with no real faults. The steering wheel is slightly left hand down when driving straight, the rear shocks need a couple of clicks stiffer and the passenger door mirror needs adjusted.

When I was test driving the car on the farm road I felt that the engine was a bit flat, but after tonight I have no worries. It felt crisp with plenty of go and no flat spots or hesitation, I thought it felt quicker than before with the V8 but it was 19 years ago! I have a mate who just happens to own a garage with a rolling road so after a few hundred miles I will put it on there and see what power I have. So far so good, touch wood!

Comment

Well done that man.

I did the batism by fire and went to Le Mans via Calaise two days after I built the thing.

Have faith in your work and enjoy.

Look forward to seeing you on the the circuit.

Regards

Adrian

Originally posted by scott h View Post
                                At long last I took the Marlin for a first drive in 19 years, not counting the MOT. After a mad rush trying to make it to Stoneleigh things calmed down a bit, and I decided to get the Marlin finished (are they ever finished?) before driving it. First stop was for fuel, then I did a big circle which has several short cuts home incase of any problems. I'm pleased to report that I covered 40 miles with no real faults. The steering wheel is slightly left hand down when driving straight, the rear shocks need a couple of clicks stiffer and the passenger door mirror needs adjusted.

When I was test driving the car on the farm road I felt that the engine was a bit flat, but after tonight I have no worries. It felt crisp with plenty of go and no flat spots or hesitation, I thought it felt quicker than before with the V8 but it was 19 years ago! I have a mate who just happens to own a garage with a rolling road so after a few hundred miles I will put it on there and see what power I have. So far so good, touch wood!

Comment

Working...
                                X