Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Berlinetta build and restoration

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
  1. #281 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    Good progress, and a good effort. I too tried to get JRR there but too many 'potential major' issue to risk the run up there.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

2. #282 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 
    Club Member
    I took a snapshot of my Cabrio’s recent test. Similar results to yours. I’m not exactly sure what the various numbers are. It gives two weights for each wheel and two overall weights. I assume the two kgf measurements for each wheel relate to toe in/out the third on the rear being the handbrake.

With the rear mounted trunk fully laden, a full tank and two plump passengers Millie’s handling is not as good as usual.

Sorry you can’t bring your car to Stoneleigh but hope to see you there.
    Paul

IMG_8728.JPG

3. #283 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I assumed that the Marlin would be slightly heavier at the front, never having seen it weighed before.

The last couple of weeks has been like a scene from so many car restoration tv shows, where they always seem to have a deadline to meet. Where is Edd China when you need him?
    Last edited by scott h; 03-05-2019 at 08:37 AM.

4. #284 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 
    At long last I took the Marlin for a first drive in 19 years, not counting the MOT. After a mad rush trying to make it to Stoneleigh things calmed down a bit, and I decided to get the Marlin finished (are they ever finished?) before driving it. First stop was for fuel, then I did a big circle which has several short cuts home incase of any problems. I'm pleased to report that I covered 40 miles with no real faults. The steering wheel is slightly left hand down when driving straight, the rear shocks need a couple of clicks stiffer and the passenger door mirror needs adjusted.

When I was test driving the car on the farm road I felt that the engine was a bit flat, but after tonight I have no worries. It felt crisp with plenty of go and no flat spots or hesitation, I thought it felt quicker than before with the V8 but it was 19 years ago! I have a mate who just happens to own a garage with a rolling road so after a few hundred miles I will put it on there and see what power I have. So far so good, touch wood!

5. #285 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Well done that man.

I did the batism by fire and went to Le Mans via Calaise two days after I built the thing.

Have faith in your work and enjoy.

Look forward to seeing you on the the circuit.

Regards

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    At long last I took the Marlin for a first drive in 19 years, not counting the MOT. After a mad rush trying to make it to Stoneleigh things calmed down a bit, and I decided to get the Marlin finished (are they ever finished?) before driving it. First stop was for fuel, then I did a big circle which has several short cuts home incase of any problems. I'm pleased to report that I covered 40 miles with no real faults. The steering wheel is slightly left hand down when driving straight, the rear shocks need a couple of clicks stiffer and the passenger door mirror needs adjusted.

When I was test driving the car on the farm road I felt that the engine was a bit flat, but after tonight I have no worries. It felt crisp with plenty of go and no flat spots or hesitation, I thought it felt quicker than before with the V8 but it was 19 years ago! I have a mate who just happens to own a garage with a rolling road so after a few hundred miles I will put it on there and see what power I have. So far so good, touch wood!

6. #286 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member angusgrooby's Avatar
    Well done Scott hope the weather is kind for you and you get lots of opportunity to enjoy your hard work. Rgds Angus

7. #287 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 
    Good job ! Look forward to seeing it "in the metal" one of these days

Rgds DC

8. #288 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 

9. #289 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member 928cdu's Avatar
    Looks fantastic! Now enjoy
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

10. #290 Re: Berlinetta build and restoration 
    Wow! Looks great! Now get some miles on the clock!
    Liz