IMG-20180731-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20180730-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20180731-WA0001.jpg

Comment

• Re: Berlinetta build and restoration

Superb.

Comment

They look great bet you can not wait to get them fitted!

Comment

More pics. Don't say I'm not good to you ha ha.

IMG-20180801-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20180801-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20180801-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180801-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180801-WA0002.jpg

Comment

Lovely colour. Looks very similar to the BMW Tobago blue my Cabrio is painted with.

Comment

Ford Deep Impact Blue is the colour. I've seen it on many Ford vehicles from Transits to Mustangs.

Comment

Wow! Love the colour!

Comment

Back in the garage after a busy 3 months working on the farm. So to recap, the Marlin was finally painted at the start of August, after a bit of a wait. The next big job is the interior, which will be entrusted to a local trimmer with a fast growing reputation for excellent work among classic car owners. The Marlin is booked in for the start of January, so I need to get it put together before then. It seems a good idea to leave the wings off until the interior is done, to provide easier access and less chance of damage to the paint.

The rear boot section was first to be fitted and properly bolted on, which then gave me the ideal solution to the problem of how to safely store the large newly painted hardtop, as it could now be placed in position. The new filler cap was fitted to the panel which had been reprofiled for a flush fit by the body shop, and the filler pipe plumbed in.

1926.jpg

1931.jpg

Next the boot lid was fitted and new handles replaced the old corroded ones.

1936.jpg

New door handles.

1941.jpg

New mirrors, without the heads for the moment, to avoid any chance of damage.

1946.jpg

The door glass was fitted using new channel and seals. New chrome interior handles.

1951.jpg

The wiper linkage was also fitted, as were the seat belts.

A current overview of the Marlin.

1956.jpg

Comment

Looking Great Scott looks as if you are on the final push to get it compleate. That stainless bulk head really looks good.
                    Angus

Comment

Thanks Angus. The stainless bulkhead was a friend's idea, when I was going to just have a stainless panel to cover the hole left by the Cortina heater. As the trimmer has an increasing waiting list I plan to have everything else ready for when it returns from them for a quick finish, so I am aiming for an MOT in March.

Comment

I had the wheels powder coated and fitted new tyres.

20181216_132208-1632x1224.jpg

The original tyre size of 205/70/15 is a lot less common these days, which made tyre choice difficult, unless you want heavy duty van tyres. There are a couple of budget car tyres in that size, but after reading some reviews I was put off. However, if I change the profile to 65 then the choice is much wider. The problem is that the Marlin needs a big tyre to fill the wheel arch and look right, and also there is a slight loss of ground clearance, although only 10mm.

In the end I decided to go with 205/65/15 tyres and hope that the Marlin will look ok. After reading many reviews and test results I chose Continental premium contact 5, which had a good balance of performance and reasonable price.

Comment

There has been a bit of a delay in getting the Berlinetta to the trimmer, they are a wife and husband team with a growing reputation and getting more busy every day. It should take them about two weeks once they start, after that I will refit the wings, bonnet, bumpers and lights, all of which are off to give easier access to the interior. Then it will be MOT time!

Meanwhile I made a partition in the boot to hide the battery and fuel filler pipe.

20190217_190739-1632x1224.jpg

20190210_185101-1632x1224.jpg

I used thin plywood and aluminium covered with vinyl. The lid is secured by stainless washers and stainless wing nuts for access to the battery.

Comment

Why not cover the washers with vinyl to match? Just a bit less obtrusive.Very nice job though

Comment

I delivered the Marlin to the trimmer today. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

Finally got the Marlin back from the trimmer today.

20190421_190140-1632x1224.jpg

20190421_190241-1632x1224.jpg

20190421_190218-1632x1224.jpg

The race is on to have the car at Stoneleigh. I've to fit the radiator cowl, all wings and bonnet. Then fit and wire up the lights, bumpers, mirrors, wipers, then get an MOT. Then try to get a few miles of testing before 373 miles to Stoneleigh. At the moment I would say the chances are 50 50, watch this space.
                                Last edited by scott h; 22-04-19, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X