Can anyine identify this relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyine identify this relay

My engine cooling fan has stopped working. My car is all Sierra (2.0 DOHC EFi.) I've checked the fan and that is OK. I've checked the fuse and that is OK. I have a by-pass switch to override the thermal switch and that doesn't provide volts. I used the loom from the donor Sierra and both the Ford and Haynes circuit diagrams refer to a relay but I have no idea where it is. There is a stand alone relay and fuse in the engine bay that I don't know what its function is. It was on the donor loom so I kept it. Is it my cooling fan relay?

Just in case the picture doesn't show, the relay has on it:

Ford 77180
    7849 11406 CA
    ?23134-K6-XAD
    12V 40A

Last edited by keith_h; 18-04-13, 02:49 PM.

Re: Can anyine identify this relay

looks like the fuel pump relay Keith

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
      looks like the fuel pump relay Keith
      Hi Cameron, I'm not sure if that's the relay for the radiator fan or not, but with a 30 amp fuse in there it must be be for something which draws a lot of power.
      I had a similar problem with some spotlights recently, and that as it turn out had two fuses one in the relay and one in the fusebox, the lesser one in the fusebox kept blowing.

Terry

Comment

Hi Cameron,

I am pretty sure it is not the fuel pump. I used the donor Sierra GLS loom including all the peripheral stuff hanging on it. So my fuse & relay box is laid out as per the photo and you can see the fuel pump is the second to last

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by keithh View Post
          Hi Cameron,

I am pretty sure it is not the fuel pump. I used the donor Sierra GLS loom including all the peripheral stuff hanging on it. So my fuse & relay box is laid out as per the photo and you can see the fuel pump is the second to last

Keith
          [ATTACH]3434[/ATTACH]
          Keith - is the answer in your photo?

If you look at the fuse rating of each of the items in your list, how many have a 30 amp fuse - the last item looks as though it is - does it say "power windows"?

Are any of the others rated at 30amp?

Mike

Comment

Visit http://www.fordopedia.org/parts-cata...er/78EG11406CA for list of uses.....

Comment

Thanks Chris - that's a useful site

Comment

That's for the window lifters then.

Comment

Originally posted by keithh View Post
                  My engine cooling fan has stopped working. My car is all Sierra (2.0 DOHC EFi.) I've checked the fan and that is OK. I've checked the fuse and that is OK. I have a by-pass switch to override the thermal switch and that doesn't provide volts. I used the loom from the donor Sierra and both the Ford and Haynes circuit diagrams refer to a relay but I have no idea where it is. There is a stand alone relay and fuse in the engine bay that I don't know what its function is. It was on the donor loom so I kept it. Is it my cooling fan relay?

Just in case the picture doesn't show, the relay has on it:

Ford 77180
                  7849 11406 CA
                  ?23134-K6-XAD
                  12V 40A

[ATTACH]3411[/ATTACH]
                  Hi Keith
                  I wonder if you worked out what the relay was for I have exactly the same problem the guy who took the loom out of the doner car marked it with a label but the writing has faded and I can not read it the wire colours give no clue either as they don't seem to comply with anything in Haynes manual I wonder if you can help I don't think its the windows as the relay is on the engine loom
                  Kind regards
                  Nigel

Comment

Working...
                  X