Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage rack.

Hi,
    There's been a few posts for luggage racks, and I thought you may be interested in my solution. I haven't had to drill the body work to support it and I think it is quite neat, even if I say so myself!
    Firstly, I've extended the studs holding the spare wheel in place by about an inch. Then, I've cut the wheel nuts in half. The bottom half of the wheel nuts, were screwed onto the extended studs to hold the spare wheel in place in the normal way.
    Then a round plate was made with four holes to fit over the studs and held in place with the top half of the wheel nuts. Four posts were welded to the plate so that the rack could be attached and with a bit of careful measuring the rack rests on the tyre wall for a bit of extra support.
    Hopefully the attached pictures may explain things better!
    Credit has to go to my mate who adapted my idea and welded it all up in stainless.
    Well chuffed!
    Gareth.
    Attached Files

Re: Luggage rack.

Your should be chuffed, very neat

Comment

What a good idea Gareth, very neat to.

Terry

Comment

Rather simple if not stupid question, thickness of discs?
        tony in windswept Finistere.

Comment

Very neat solution Gareth
          Regards
          Bryan
          Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi Tony,
            Discs are about 4mm in stainless.
            Gareth.

Comment

Thanks , should have also asked diam of support rods, 20mm?
              Its a wonderfully simple soln!

Comment

Yep Tony, and of course it would depend on the height of the tyre wall above the studs as regards the extra stability for the rack, but I know it would take my weight if I sat on it!
                I made a similar rack for carrying my bike off the spare wheel of my 4x4 Terrano.
                Gareth.

Comment

Thanks , need to speak to french chum here who is a welder/fabricator etc!

Comment

If you need any measurements Tony, just ask, but I think the pictures will give you all the info you need.
                    Actually I was going to bring the car to Stoneleigh last week, but just out of hospital after 7 hour major op, and the thought of driving down from Chester somehow didn't appeal!
                    Gareth.

Comment

That looks terrific, and much more sturdy than the usual sort & eliminating any slippage.

On the subject of racks I bought this BakRak years ago that fits on the towbar, and used it for the first time today to transport my new tyres to be fitted - a useful luggage carrying addition.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X