Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock limiters.

Hi,

I am a returning member with an E36 2.5i M50/B25 based Sportster. I have recently fitted 15" x 7J wheels and 15mm spacers but on full lock the inner edge of the wheels rubs the track rod end.

I see from web posts that BMW fitted lock limiters on E36 cars originally fitted with 16" and 17" wheels. Does anyone have experience of obtaining and fitting these.

A firm in the USA sells a kit but they are a long way away !! http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag..._rack_stop.pdf

Any help would be much appreciated.

Colin Barratt.

Re: Lock limiters.

Hi Colin welcome back, they do not look at all difficult to manufacture, if you could supply me with a drawing and dimensions I can manufacture you a pair. The lock washers I would imagine could be bought from bmw or another source

Comment

Thank you very much for your offer. I now have to make an admission - it isn't a BMW rack. It is of course a P100 Sierra rack ! If I'd thought about it I'd have realised that BMW racks have power steering connections and reading the sheet the builder passed on to me would have told me what it actually was.

Nevertheless - it still needs lock limiters and the type shown in the link seem simple and efficient. Delrin is a suitable material and the locking could be done with a countersunk grub screw (or two).

I shall research and do some measuring.

Colin.

Comment

Marlins solution to this was jubilee clips under the rubber gaiter, positioned to limit the travel of the rack the desired amount.

Comment

Hi Colin no worrys I also have a rack kicking about, will have a look, not sure if its the same as a p100
          Cheers
          Lee

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
            Hi Colin no worrys I also have a rack kicking about, will have a look, not sure if its the same as a p100

Cheers
            Lee

Lee

Is the P100 just a standard non power steering rack?

Mike

Comment

p100 is this: (but i dont know if the p100 is using a differnt rack than the standard sierra)

Comment

The P100 has the same rack as the Sierra.

Comment

Colin

I have access to loads of lock stops for the Sierra rack for £10/pair plus postage.

I have just fitted some on my Cabrio as the inner wheels were very close to the anti roll bar on full lock.

Comment

Originally posted by CABRIOBOB View Post
                    Colin

I have access to loads of lock stops for the Sierra rack for £10/pair plus postage.

I have just fitted some on my Cabrio as the inner wheels were very close to the anti roll bar on full lock.

Thanks very much for the offer but I have solved it with two pieces of petrol pump hose. I split them and clamped them to the rack ends with zip ties. There is enough space in the splits to hide the catches on the zip ties and you can rotate them to make sure that the offside one doesn't touch the lumps in the recess of the rack. That all sounds rather confusing but if you were looking at the rack you would know what I mean. The rubber of the hose also means a "soft landing" on full lock.
                    Colin.

Comment

Working...
                    X