Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IVA Sucess

Hi All,

Mike has encouraged me to share my recent success with members of the MOC. I have been wondering around this forum for a while but this is the first time I have taken the plunge to post anything.

I got involved with Marlin back in the late 80s. I built a Mark 2 Marina based LWB Roadster. (Q310URL). I sold it in 93/94 and have no idea what happened to it. It was a great machine on the Cornish country roads and even better hacking around the perimeter track at Culdrose Air Station, when the airfield was closed and MOD plod had gone home!!

I have always hankered after doing another one and back in 2010 and sitting around at home, recovering from a nasty mountain bike accident I ventured on to the Marlin website. And that was it.

Just over 3 years later my Sportster has been given an IVA certificate and I'm now in the process of registering it.

Finishing touches by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

With a couple of runs to the test station and taking the long way round to a dummy MOT test prior to the IVA, it's got 150 miles on the clock already. Nothings fallen off. Everything seems to be working as advertised, although the cooling is a bit marginal and it's looking like it will be on the road in the next month or so.

Rear bumpers by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

I have the windscreen and hood ready to be fitted and it's going to be sprayed in Moto Guzzi's Verde Inglese (a very dark BRG to you and me!!)

The first outing will be the Bugatti Owners Club Prescott Hill Climb in mid July. It was the same event last year at which I opened my mouth and said "I'll have my Marlin here next year" It's amazing what setting yourself a target can do.........!!

So. Another Marlin on the road. And a big grin on my face!!

Re: IVA Sucess

Well done Nigel. I'm sure that the bits you don't want on there will fall off at some point

One more for Sportster row at Stoneliegh next year! XD

Comment

Nigel

Well done. (Nigel is being modest here - he achieved one of the rare 'First Time IVA Pass' awards)
      Your Sportster looks good without paint - how did you keep all the panels looking so good?

Mike

Originally posted by nigel View Post
      Hi All,

Mike has encouraged me to share my recent success with members of the MOC. I have been wondering around this forum for a while but this is the first time I have taken the plunge to post anything.

I got involved with Marlin back in the late 80s. I built a Mark 2 Marina based LWB Roadster. (Q310URL). I sold it in 93/94 and have no idea what happened to it. It was a great machine on the Cornish country roads and even better hacking around the perimeter track at Culdrose Air Station, when the airfield was closed and MOD plod had gone home!!

I have always hankered after doing another one and back in 2010 and sitting around at home, recovering from a nasty mountain bike accident I ventured on to the Marlin website. And that was it.

Just over 3 years later my Sportster has been given an IVA certificate and I'm now in the process of registering it.

Finishing touches by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

With a couple of runs to the test station and taking the long way round to a dummy MOT test prior to the IVA, it's got 150 miles on the clock already. Nothings fallen off. Everything seems to be working as advertised, although the cooling is a bit marginal and it's looking like it will be on the road in the next month or so.

Rear bumpers by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

I have the windscreen and hood ready to be fitted and it's going to be sprayed in Moto Guzzi's Verde Inglese (a very dark BRG to you and me!!)

The first outing will be the Bugatti Owners Club Prescott Hill Climb in mid July. It was the same event last year at which I opened my mouth and said "I'll have my Marlin here next year" It's amazing what setting yourself a target can do.........!!

So. Another Marlin on the road. And a big grin on my face!!
      Last edited by Mike; 07-06-13, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Looks amazing Nigel, and Mike no pressure on a first time pass and all that

Comment

Nigel, Lee's right it does look amazing, your turn next Mike!!!

Terry

Comment

Congratulations Nigel, well done. Looks good "au naturel" but look forward to seeing the "verdigris" colour and reg. plates

Rgds DC

Comment

Looks good but I must ask, did it pass without any rear reflectors?
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                Looks good but I must ask, did it pass without any rear reflectors?
                Ben,

No it didn't. Those pictures were taken around the end of March. (You can see that the bumpers are not yet secured, and like Mike, that was a rear tub removal job to fix them)

Here's a couple of IVA updates. Reflectors fitted on the mud guard extensions that were fitted to meet the wheel coverage requirement and additional indicator repeaters on the mud guards to meet the repeater visibility spec. (to which the IVA man's comment was "what are they there for?")

IVA Stuff by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

Comment

Excellent don't you just love it to find you needn't have bothered, have you a colour in mind or is it staying in deaf aid beige?.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

The deaf aid beige has finally been replaced by a proper paint job and a few bits and pieces have disappeared.

We've been out and about enjoying the sunshine over the last couple of weeks and this evening we found ourselves in this field...............

Last day of summer!! by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

So tomorrow, if you believe the weather forecast, its up with the roof or down with the garage door.

Or maybe, just wear the right clothes!!

Comment

Looks good, the colour choice works very well. I very much like your attitude, stuff the weather, enjot your car. Well done.
                      Danny.

Comment

That should read( enjoy) your car.

Comment

Working...
                        X