Cabrio wiring diagram request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio wiring diagram request

Hi, Does anyone have a copy of a Cabrio wiring diagram and fitting instructions using the marlin supplied (not sierra modified) original loom? It will help me a lot in tracing a number of niggling electrical faults in my cabrio which is !based on a 1992 sierra DOHC 2 litre.
    Thanks
    Peter

Re: Cabrio wiring diagram request

Hi Peter, I have just checked my build manual and there is very little info just about how to lay it in the car, no parts about colour coding, in fact more on the sierra loom. I can copy it for you but don't think its what you need ?
    Cheers
    Lee

Comment

I do have wiring instructions for the sierra loom from PWS - it might help identify some of the wires? Let me know if you want me to copy it but hopefully someone will have exactly what you need.

Comment

I think we've all got the same Marlin Cabrio Build Manual, comes from the same supplier as chocolate fireguards

DC

Comment

Hi Peter

The news may not be as bad as some of the previous threads might suggest, but then we are talking about Marlin here!

Marlin originally supplied my Cabrio kit with a loom that I could not make any sense of, but because I had taken so long over my build that by the time I came to the wiring I could not really go back to them.
          As it had been made by Premier Wiring Systems (PWS - and carried their contact details) I gave them a call for help. Once explained, I was quickly told Marlin had supplied the wrong loom, but he very kindly offered to take back the incorrect loom, and supply me with a correct Sierra based loom all free of charge. A lovely fella.

So, on the basis that your Cabrio may have the correct PWS Sierra based loom we may be able to help.

There are a couple of points I would make - one positive, the other - beware.
          Generally I found the PWS loom to be excellent - even for a novice like me, who does not really like car electrics, I was able to follow their instructions line by line, and evrything worked first time - almost (the front and rear indicator trace colours had been mixed up, giving me flashing right front with left rear, and vice a versa!
          Secondly, the ability to trace wires will depend on how concientious the original builder was with the wiring. On a number of occassions I have needed to extend wires, and struggled to find the right length in the right trace colour in the correct duty, others may have been been tempted to use anything?

If you would like to PM me your email address I'll scan you a copy of the PWS Sierra loom instructions that I have and hopefully these will help you sort things out.

Mike

Originally posted by PeterM View Post
          Hi, Does anyone have a copy of a Cabrio wiring diagram and fitting instructions using the marlin supplied (not sierra modified) original loom? It will help me a lot in tracing a number of niggling electrical faults in my cabrio which is !based on a 1992 sierra DOHC 2 litre.
          Thanks
          Peter

Comment

I would agree with Mike about the PWS loom. I bought one when building my cabrio and found it was good. The only problem I had was understanding how to interface it to the Sierra switchgear, but managed to figure that out in the end.

If you haven't a PWS loom maybe it might be worth considering ripping the old one out and starting again?

Comment

I would also agree. I had one made for my Roadster and it was spot on.

The guys at PWS know our cars and hence the quality.

They ask pertinent questions like ; what is the car based on, what year, what cc etc.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by chris.cussen View Post
                I would agree with Mike about the PWS loom. I bought one when building my cabrio and found it was good. The only problem I had was understanding how to interface it to the Sierra switchgear, but managed to figure that out in the end.

If you haven't a PWS loom maybe it might be worth considering ripping the old one out and starting again?
                Chris has it spot on. You will need a Sierra wiring diagram, (the Haynes manual is just about sufficient) and its easier if you remove the two main switches on the steering column in order to read the numbers on the connectors which can then be used to work out what goes where.

Be aware that Sierra's have had two different sets of switch gear, so it is important to know whether you have pre or post '89 switch gear. The rest you can then work out. And if not, ask away...................
                Last edited by Mike; 02-07-13, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Hi Mike
                  Thanks very much for the info.
                  Yes please, i will very much appreciate a copy of the pws sierra loom instructions. I will pm you.
                  Thanks to everyone else for their comments and suggestions
                  peter mackay

Comment

Re: Sierra Main Beam /Dip Switch Operation

Simple question :
                    - Which way around does your Main beam/Dip switch work? Is down away from you Dip or Main?

I wired mine up to be: Down = Dip : Up = Main. I also wired Dip to come on with Main (but not the other way around) to give better drive lights by adding a bridge with a diode across the relay feeds.

That part all works as planned.

My query is that when I pull the switch up higher for temporary flash I only get Dip flash, and not Main flash which is not as I expected?

Makes me think the normal Sierra switch gear set up should be Down = Main Up = Dip, then Flash will be Main?

I very much hope all answers will be the same!!!!

Mike

Comment

Hi Peter

I have emailed a copy of my PWS wiring instructions.
                      Let us know how you get on.

Regards
                      Mike

Originally posted by PeterM View Post
                      Hi Mike
                      Thanks very much for the info.
                      Yes please, i will very much appreciate a copy of the pws sierra loom instructions. I will pm you.
                      Thanks to everyone else for their comments and suggestions
                      peter mackay

Comment

Hi Mike,
                        Usual Seirra lights are down (towards the dash) main beam, up normal, pull up for flash.
                        I've added two spots that work on full beam (via a relay)
                        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chris.cussen View Post
                          Hi Mike,
                          Usual Seirra lights are down (towards the dash) main beam, up normal, pull up for flash.
                          I've added two spots that work on full beam (via a relay)
                          Chris
                          Cheers Chris
                          That's what I had come to suspect - my original logic being Down = Dip was obviously too logical!

Comment

Main beam away from you[ i.e. toward dash ] on mine !

Comment

I would regard that as logical, towards you for dip, close vision; away for main beam, distant vision; momentary contact towards you to flash headlamps. I think most cars use that now.

Comment

Working...
                              X