Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

underbody corrosion treatment and protection. any reccomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underbody corrosion treatment and protection. any reccomendations?

Can anyone reccomend a high quality long lasting corrosion protection and treatment method for my cabrio. It is now 16 years old and the original powder coat and protective paint is coming off, particularly on the suspension compoments. There is some light rust but nothing serious.
    i want to protect it for the next 16 years and am happy to pay for professional treatment but dont want to extensively disassemble the car.
    As i live in leeds, somewhere "up north " would be good.
    Thanks
    Peter

Re: underbody corrosion treatment and protection. any reccomendations?

Hi Peter
    Not wishing to be pessimistic but take a very close look particularly around the top shock absorber mounts. I thought it was light rust at first unfortunately it was not as I have had to completely remove the rear tub to enable fabrication and welding of chassis parts.
    I have some photos of the damage and what needs doing which I will upload to the forum soon.
    Regards
    Dave

Comment

Peter, FWIW I've removed all powder coating residue from my 1997 Hunter, and after looking at the problem the only way to really do it properly seemed to me was dismantling... I did the front one winter
      and the rear the next. I don't think you'll get a good enough job without at least some dismantling as the more you take off the more you notice needs doing.

Sorry for the "Job's comforter" bit, but if it's worth doing, etc

Incidentally, I've slathered mine with Hammerite, though you'll find mixed thoughts as some here don't like the new Hammerite

Good Luck ! RGds DC

Comment

My Roadster had it's 23rd. birthday this year and the chassis is rust free. When I built her I degreased the bare chassis with thinners and then gave it two coats of Finnigans No1 primer and then two coats of Dulux non drip black.
        The thinking was that stones and the like would dent the paint and not chip it off. I also coated the underside of the wings with a ruberised underseal, the name of which escapes me, and that has helped stop damage to the fiberglass from debris flung up by the wheels.
        You can see the areas that didn't get Dulux as they were sprayed the body colour to match the panels, Vauxhall Pine Green.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X