Leg room in Cabrio SWB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg room in Cabrio SWB

My wife will go mad if I buy another Marlin but she'll get over it!

How much leg room is there in a SWB Cabrio when compared to a LWB Roadster?

I am 6ft 4in and currently have a LWB Roadster that I adapted, to fit my long legs, by lowering the seat box and lifting the steering wheel / column.

I like the look of this especially with the V8 engine, and am tempted to bid, but will I fit?

This also looks great but I assume it is also a SWB...

I should be satisfied with my Roadster really but just a little more comfort would be nice, and I have always fancied a V8. And side windows!

Thanks for any advice.
    Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Re: Leg room in Cabrio SWB

There is no way you will fit, sorry.

Comment

Can't help you directly as mine is a LWB model. but I got about 6 inches of room behind the driver's seat that could be used and I'm 5ft8tall. Since the SWB is about 6 inches shorter I would assume that there would be no space behind the seat.
      Chris

Comment

Hi Sidon

Although it is difficult to say for certain the 2 litre could be a LWB : the extra length shows in the door, and just behind its shut line.
        It would be worth asking the seller - or maybe not - divorce is expensive!

Mike

Originally posted by Sidon View Post
        My wife will go mad if I buy another Marlin but she'll get over it!

How much leg room is there in a SWB Cabrio when compared to a LWB Roadster?

I am 6ft 4in and currently have a LWB Roadster that I adapted, to fit my long legs, by lowering the seat box and lifting the steering wheel / column.

I like the look of this especially with the V8 engine, and am tempted to bid, but will I fit?

This also looks great but I assume it is also a SWB...

I should be satisfied with my Roadster really but just a little more comfort would be nice, and I have always fancied a V8. And side windows!

Thanks for any advice.
        Last edited by Mike; 03-07-13, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Hi - The difference between the SWB & LWB Cabrios is 4" - 2" in the doors and 2" behind them. Visually, the giveaway is that on the LWB the rear shutline on the door lines up with the join of the running board to the rear wing. There is a 2" difference on the SWB. I am 5'10" and am comfortable in my SWB, but the seat is pretty much right back. I think you may fit in a LWB but headroom may be the biggest problem. Compared with a Roadster, there is more width for hips and shoulders which aids comfort and fit. Get along to a show or event and try a few before buying is my advise. Dave

Comment

Thanks all. I thought that the Cabrio would be wider but was hoping it may also be longer. Sadly, from what you say, I will not be able to fit in the SWB. My size was a major reason for choosing the Marlin Roadster LWB in the first place and, even then, I carried out a few mods to maximise space. Danny had already advised me to look for a LWB Cabrio when we corresponded about a car he had for sale some time ago, but it was the V8 engine in the one for sale up in Scotland that reignited my interest. Now I'm on that downward spiral of 'must buy one'. Or is it an upward spiral?

Dave - I have looked at the 2 cars above and the 2nd one does look to be longer in the doors. Do you think that one is LWB? I will contact the owner.

Thanks again.

Simon
            Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

OH NO!!... not another traitor to the roadster cause.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ben - I said ANOTHER Marlin!

Dave and Mike - thanks, the 2 litre Cabrio is indeed a LWB. But, I do fancy a V8. Hmmm

Comment

What about a Berlinetta? They come with the potential for loads of legroom, wind up windows and some have V8 engines, like mine. Mine came with two V8 engines! Just trying to figure where to put the other... Polite suggestions only please!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sidon View Post
                    Ben - I said ANOTHER Marlin!

Dave and Mike - thanks, the 2 litre Cabrio is indeed a LWB. But, I do fancy a V8. Hmmm
                    Drop a V8 in to the Scottish one....................!

Better still drop a BMW 2.5 straight 6 200BHP and much more fuel efficient!
                    And you can widen the foot well to make the pedals properly accessible as the bell housing is much smaller too.

If you're interested have a look at my build diary:
                    Here you can keep up to date and help support club members who are currently building or renovating their cars.
                    Last edited by Mike; 03-07-13, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Sadly Mike I have neither the talent, experience or the time to undertake engine swaps. I have watched your build diary with great interest and I am in awe of your skill and attention to detail. I am sure it will be a brilliant car when it is finished. My only chance of a car like that is to save up some pennies and buy one that someone like you, or Robert, or Lee or one of the other highly skilled Marlin builders has lavished time and love on.

The 2.0 litre Cabrio is in Wiltshire and looks a bit scabby but well built. I am very happy doing 'tarting up' so am tempted. I just don't know if the 2.0 OHC 8 valve engine is what I really want. I understand it is not well thought of. Maybe I should wait a few years for when you are selling.

Comment

2l DOHC will give you about 113HP in carbs, and 123 if fuel injected. I'm running on carbs and I would describe the performance as brisk, 0-60 is about 8 seconds. Top speed is of course 70mph. At least thats all I would admit to.

It will probably come with a 5 speed MT75 gearbox which will give relaxed cruising, as it will be geared fo about 155mph at 6000 in top.

I re-furbished my engine when It had got to 140k miles, a bit of oilly smoke on tick over caused by wear to the valve guides. There was barely any perceptable wear to the pistons/bores.

Comment

I had a look at the LWB 2 litre Cabrio near Chippenham, it fitted me well but was tired through not being used. I see the 4.6 SWB Cabrio in Scotland is now on Sovereign for £5,500 more than it made on ebay!!!!!!!! A pity the 3.5 litre Cabrio on ebay now is SWB as it looks good. I will have to keep looking and using the "Shoehorn" in my SWB Roadster for now!!!!!!!!! [6'2" tall large build]. David

Comment

Hi David, the LWB near Chippenham was a bargain at just over £4k, these cars with all the factory options, leather seats, cut away door cards, instruments, loom, dash etc etc cost approx £12 to £16k to build. Early cars were all swb and started with different door hinges ( when open the doors tried to damage the leading edge on the screen pillar) The factory parts were not available for the interior trim, and the seats were whatever could be found. Paul Moorhouse sold Marlin shortly after the launch of the Cabrio so the car was developed after that date. At your height you req LWB, but try and buy one with all the factory options, or as good ,or better, put together by a talented builder. Even then be prepared to work on front camber/ castor, and rear camber, and perhaps braking. You will find information on all these on this site.

Comment

Hi David
                              Looks like you and I are looking for the same thing! At 6' 4" I bet my squeeze into my Roadster is tighter than yours! At least we get served quickly in pubs, eh. Good luck in your search. Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X