Owners in Surrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owners in Surrey

I am a new member and became proud owner of a Cabrio last weekend. I live in Woking, any members close to me let me know as would like to hook up (read - scrounge advice). Hope to meet some of you at events soon.

Thanks to Danny Nelson for finding me the car and Reg Biddlecombe the seller (I suspect some of you may know the car).

Re: Owners in Surrey

Hello Alan,

If you read through the thread "maps to be deleted" you will see that there is a legal issue which, at the moment, stops the officers of the club giving you names and addresses of fellow Marlin owners. So, if you are disappointed at the lack of response to your original question, it is not because we are being stand-offish, we are restricted. I will be running Chiltern Challenge 3 on Sunday Sept. 15th which will be something similar to a treasure hunt and will take place around the Marlow / Henley on Thames area. If you give me permission to email you with details, you are more than welcome to join us.

Keith Howell

([email protected])

Comment

Thanks Keith

I would like to see details of the CC3 - I am half planning to go to the Goodwood Revival and still need to finalise plans - now have a dilema of 2 good things to choose from.

Holding back personal detalils makes sense. You have permission to use mine - I assume you can access my details as an officer I will also send to email provided

Alan Carr

Comment

Hi Alan,

I am not an officer of the club, just a frustrated member who, like you, would like to be able to get in touch with those members in my area who would like to be informed of MOC activity in the area. You will need to email me.

Keith

Comment

There is nothing to stop any (officer) or member passing on/ sharing / another members details ( with the members permission) What was rejected by a majority of the membership was a handbook giving members details. This was some time back. More recently an electronic map showing locations etc was rejected. Keith as I remember you went ahead with this map and it had to be pulled.

Comment

Hi Alan, I am pleased that you are enjoying the car. There are just two major kit car shows left this year, Donnington 25th and 26th August and Exeter on 26th and the 27th October. Show dates usually appear in Pitstop mag.

Comment

The map still exists if you look at http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...t=maps+deleted
              The map itself is at http://batchgeo.com/map/002340ca52ad...713cc725710ae3

One post, late in the thread suggests that the project could be implemented with members contributing their own data, but that seems to have died.
              If the committee has decided against that project, the members should be informed, rather than leaving it hanging in the air.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

the idea is still a good one Steve for those who wish to take part. The trouble is finding a suitable solution that would actually work through the forum and I have looked at many but none will actually be easy to implement. I am quite happy to be corrected of course so if you know of a good mapping system that members can contribute voluntarily too I will happily have a look - just drop me a pm.

Comment

The starting point must be an updateable database where members can add their own information, Reg, Car, Engine, etc etc.
                  If nobody adds their own selected data (only a Reg No or Chassis No being mandatory) then there would be no point at all finding suitable mapping software, and the project could be rightfully postponed until the members show interest.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Danny,

You make it sound as if I carried out some kind of maverick move. What actually happened was that I used a mapping system to get an idea of where members were located so that I could stand the best chance of recruiting drivers for the Lands End to John O'Groats Pasty run and hence the route. To create the map I trawled the Net until I found a free mapping system that I thought would suit my purpose. I then asked for the first 4 letters of the post code of members, naively assuming that they could not be tracked down. What transpired, and to this day I don't know how it did it but Google managed to convert a number of the first 4 letters of members post codes into almost full codes. One member objected on a point of principle and threatened the club even though I believe he had issued some of his details elsewhere on the Net. I had that map removed as soon as I could and went on to use the one that some of you have seen.

For the future, I don't actually care if a map is used or not - it is simply a graphical means to display membership density. What I am passionate about however is the concept that if a member wishes to set up an event, the mechanism should be in place for the club to be able to assist him/her to contact all the membership in their area, provided they have given their permission to be contacted (regardless of whether they have access to the Net or not The longevity of the club is wholly dependent on the strength of the social scene and the ability of members to help fellow members with problems.

Comment

Come on guys is this the first thing we want new members to read. Going over and over the same old question yet again.................Alan there are a couple of Marlins going to Cranleigh on the 18th August if your interested its a classic car show with a bit of everything. See [email protected]
                      Last edited by b_caswell; 19-07-13, 08:15 PM.
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks - will target Exeter and hope for Indian summer

Comment

Hi Alan, Let me know which day at Exeter, I look forward to seeing you again.

Comment

Cranleigh sounds like a plan - do you just go in regular car park or in with the show cars.

Comment

Either day at Exeter works for me (Sun probably best) are you going to be at both days Danny.

Comment

Working...
                              X