Out for a run anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Out for a run anyone

Now that is a " Marlin weekend " Mr Caswell ! I just popped over to Higher Wych a mere 40 mile there and back, it was a lovely evening yesterday, it seems there are a few folks that really make the most of their Marlins and the rest like myself have to try and find the time or weather to get out and about. I was thinking about the MPG expected of these cars, I know there are a number of different engines fitted, but the cars are quite light although not terribly aerodynamic, any suggestions about your own? I'm sure mine does about 20 + to the gallon, it does run a bit rich but I would like to get a little closer to the Marina 1800 MPG of 28 --30 or so.

Comment

I get about 34 mpg out of mine. The morning trip to work (leaving home at about 6:30) is 40 miles and takes 45-50 minutes. All cross country, no dual carriageway, so I'm not hanging around. Afternoon trip back takes an hour due to the traffic.
      Engine is Ford 8V DOHC from Sierra running on a carb.

Comment

I took my 80 yr old Dad out for a spin in lovely weather this last Sunday. We went here - it's a little village called White Coppice on the West Pennine moors just 10 minutes from the 'dark satanic mills' of Bolton. At one point, when I gave it some beans to pass someone, Dad shouted that he felt like he was in a low flying aircraft and would I please mind slowing down, or words to that effect.
        Attached Files
        Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

With a Triumph 2L straight six and no overdrive it averaged out at a very approx. 28mpg. That is 520 miles towing folding camper then 2nd + 3rd gear touring round the lanes in the Dales.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

32-34 Mpg in Cabrio . Straight six 2.5 BMW M20b25. So far this year have taken it to Jersey, Suffolk and Yorkshire weekends and plan on going to Carfest north and the Marches weekend and anything else I can fit in!

Comment

Thank's for the MPG replies, I see I have more fettling to do, although I really do not expect too much, with a tired engine and only 4 gears to play with, I like the idea of the BMW straight six, lovely engines as they are and must give the Marlin a fair turn of speed.

Comment

Hi Harry
                I actually have three box's,one central and one on each of the twin tail pipes
                I had it built last year in S/S
                Noise is not a problem even at 90+(can I say that!!) on a Motorway, at slower speeds quite quiet untill you the loud pedal when it sounds glorious to me! in fact on the lakes run one member thought I was running a V8
                Actually 2ltr Zetec so fuel is reasonable but have to admit I have never really bothered to check exactly what it does
                We are using it as a wedding car this weekend with me driving our daughter to the church and the "happy couple" driving from there to the reception in it
                Weather is looking just the ticket!!
                Regards
                Bryan
                Stapley Bryan

Comment

Run to Street in Somerset and back today to pick up a pair of Fiat camshafts, 242 miles return. It was a scorcher. Never seen my oil temp. go above 80 before(cooler and thermostat) but it reached 95 today.
                  Will check tomorrow what my mpg was when I fill her up.

Comment

Don't fill it to the brim in this hot weather,
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Quick jaunt to Guipavas(Brest) Airport with my mum, she returned UK today, about a 90 ml round trip, flawless as ever, she was well impressed arriving there in some sort of style!!

Comment

Hello Bryan, I was thinking about your exhaust and wondered about the height of the central box above the road, there barely seems enough room under my motor, I think the box would get battered by the many " Sleeping policemen" all over the place up this way and there's no room at the rear unless I fitted the box next to the petrol tank and I find that idea a little off putting ! Hope you have a great weekend and yes the weather is looking good!

Comment

Well, just filled her up, 245 miles since last fill and 40.4L, 27.56mpg. Mainly70-80 on M5 and A30 with the occasional showing off, can't resist it!
                          Just noticed I've got an oil drip from the rear axle, think it's the breather. Something else to check out.
                          Looks like my new tank should give me a range of 250 easily before needing to top up as there was still about 1 1/2 to 2 gall left.
                          The new tank holds 50L and can be run down to less than a litre.
                          Last edited by h_m_cumming; 18-07-13, 08:11 PM. Reason: Tank info.

Comment

Last fill up, 277 miles, 34 litres, 36 mpg.
                            Petrol level is most of the time keeps you guessing. The gauge can go from empty to full on a long left hand bend.

Comment

Keep going round long left hand bends!!! LOL

Comment

Hunter, 2.3 dohc, diff is now a 3.92, and returning similar mpg to yours, Chris..........pleasantly surprised as the previous diff was 3.62 and
                                I'd expected worse figures than that with this new one, but I'm loving the better acceleration !

Rgds DC

Comment

Working...
                                X