Out for a run anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Out for a run anyone

So 9.5 days of bliss, then on Friday I left work to come home, turned the key and KLUNK.
    Starter motor I though, so I got two passing yoofs to try to bump start it. All that happened was a chirp from the back tyres and rapid deceleration, so I rolled into another car parking space, and thought, the started motor had jammed. So I took it off, and rounded up 3 guys from my office for bump start attempt number 2. This time we got to an impressive 10mph, aided with a slope, and I dumped the clutch in third. A very loud chirp from the tyres and three bodies spread all over the back of the Marlin.
    Rolled into car parking space number 3 and phoned the AA

They turned up in 15 minutes and by then I had tried turning the engine over using a spanner on the but it wouldn't budge. AA man guessed it was head gasket, with a bore full of water. So we retuned home with the Marlin trailered on the back of the AA van.

So yesterday it was head off, and cylinder 2 was full of water. It looked as if it had been tracking from a water gallery judging by the marks. With luck I will get away with a new gasket. And stretch bolts. And one time use only timing chain tensioner.

Fortunately I will be on holiday next week and I think it may get me out of painting the fence.
    Last edited by chris_cussen; 21-07-13, 01:47 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Sorry to read about your woes, Chris, particularly as you have been using your Marlin so frequently in this lovely weather.
      (Pity about the fence!)
      Brian

Learning more about:
      June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
      1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
      And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

Hi Chris, well that is a bit of a begger, I used to hate braking down, but I would enjoy the engine stripping and rebuilding as long as my back did not pack in too !!

Comment

Isn't it funny with everyone using their cars, but I never see them on the roads!!!. Just had a week in Cornwall, toured right down to Lands End. Spent a week did over 700 miles and didn't see another kit never mind a Marlin. Never mind the cabrio performed faultlessly and had the top down most of the time and attracted attention and lovely comments everywhere we stopped. Regards.

Comment

Perhaps an explanation?

Apparently, in January 2001 Ordnance Survey calculated that the following miles or kilometres of road existed in Great Britain:

Motorways - 2,705.41 miles or 4,353 Km.

A Roads - 29,934.12 miles or 48,164 Km.

B Roads - 18,779.37 miles or 30,216 Km.

Minor public roads - 195,395.89 miles or 314,392 Km.

Total = 246,814.88 miles or 397,210.04 Km.

600 Marlins (roadworthy)? Approximately one every 411 miles...

Not sure that there would be 600 Marlins on the road at one time so the figure is flawed but interesting trivia non the less.
            Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 25-07-13, 07:09 PM.

Comment

can't read the stats unfortunately

Comment

Tony, do you mean my post 35 above, is unreadable?

Comment

originally yes, but the blue and background colour have now changed, so, as you were, I'd tried all sorts with the settings of the lcd screen on my laptop

Comment

I captured the text from the OS website, pasted into my Text Edit, made formatting changes, then pasted the edited text into the forum.

I have a feeling Apple's sandboxing may have a hand in this. Thanks for remarking on it.

Comment

pas de probleme!!

Comment

Merci!

Comment

Whilst tootling around yesterday, on route home from Chateaulin, was passed by a convoy of MG's of varying marque, obviously an Owner's Club outing to Finistere, they had been stopped, probably to enjoy stunning views of Douarnenez Bay etc from atop the Menez Hom, the highest point in Finistere I am led to believe!
                          On a clear day its almost possible to see New York ha haaaaa!

Comment

Judy and I went to visit family in Frampton Cottrell, nr Bristol yesterday, instead of fighting with the holiday traffic. As we were waiting to turn right at traffic lights in FC a Black Roadster crossed and went towards Winterbourne. I wonder who???? We left to travel home about 3pm and we caught all the rain for 1hrs drive home, without a hood it was fun, and I never heard a "moan", the only suggestion was, wipers for glasses and the inside of the windscreen. With anoraks on and towels on our laps we avoided the worst of the water, and the engine never missed a beat. Just goes to show ours is a car to use as well as "Show". The previous Saturday our local club supported the British Legion in Bridgwater.

Comment

i have a DVD which has built in gps for hyundai accent and i want to sell it here is the link if you like then you msg me, and here is the link i am sharing with you guys.

Hyundai Accent DVD and GPS

Comment

Working...
                              X