Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newark Rear End Noise

Hi.
    At Newark some will recall crawling underneath, looking thoroughly and discussing the odd clicking noise from the rear of my Marlin. Having now completely removed the rear tub the cause of the noise and extent of damage is now very clear as the attached pictures clearly show. Also not pictured is similar damage to the drivers door pillar this is also well covered by the rear tub.
    The car has been through numerous MOT,s in this condition once in Feb of this year by me and by the previous owner.
    The car is now in the very capable hands of Dave Billings for the fabrication of parts and welding thanks to Doug for putting me in touch with Dave, also thanks to Danny for help and provision of an A Frame to transport the car to Dave's workshop a most pleasant and entertaining day.
    Regards
    Dave
    Attached Files

Re: Newark Rear End Noise

Ouch !

Look forward to the "after" pix

Rgds DC

Comment

Hi Dave

Sorry to see the cause of your knocking at Newark, that looks quite worrying.
      Thanks for sharing it with us though: it would seem the rest of us need to try to seal up that part of the tub to chassis to prevent muck and water getting in there and having such a rotting effect.

Good luck with the repair, and I hope it all goes back together OK - it cant't be easy man handling a tub that has been painted!

Mike
      Last edited by Mike; 13-07-13, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Hi Dave,

What model Marlin do you have? I have just collected my 'new' Berlinetta and am totally unfamiliar with the construction of these chassis, only really 'knowing' the Roadster chassis but the design seems fairly similar to your pictures at cursory comparison.

I had not intended removing the tub or other body panels but this seems to suggest I should... The car has stood since early 1992. The exhausts fell off completely when we moved the car and formed piles of rust on the floor!

Comment

Hi Robert I would not worry to much you are right, the chassis design is very simlair to the roadster and not a problem, worst you will get is surface rust. The cabrio chassis in a lot of areas is sheet steel cut welded and then very poorly powder coated I know of several cabrios that have needed to be welded as they are wrotten.
          From the picture you can see the amount of potential water traps
          Attached Files
          Last edited by CosworthCabrioLee; 14-07-13, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Will the Sierra based Berlinetta look a lot like the Sierra based Cabrio?

Comment

Not a lot/

Comment

when I pointed out your problem at Newark I must admit I wasn't expecting that! Glad to hear that it's in such good hands with Billing's junior.

Comment

Dave, Out of interest when was your car built? Good luck with the re-build.

Comment

Hi Geoff.
                    1997 factory built, powder coating maybe not the best idea although one could say it has lasted a far while. One comment was why did they not galvanize the chassis then powder coat.
                    Not quite a rebuild, just the rear end I managed to get it apart in a day. I would anticipate a couple of days to put back together.
                    Regards
                    Dave

Comment

Hi Alan
                      You did say you thought something was missing, also I was not expecting what I found.
                      Regards

Dave

Comment

2.jpg

For Mike who asked what the difference was.

A pic of my Sierra Berlinetta chassis. The camera makes the cross members appear curved but they are of course straight.
                        Last edited by scott h; 18-07-13, 12:37 PM.

Comment

A good idea at this stage is to cut that gearbox cross member, and make it removable ( bolted) In the future the box can then be dropped.

Comment

Hi Dave, powder coating is great if the surface preparation is done to a high standard and the heating and cooling regimes are correct, otherwise it can give more problems than its worth. In my opinion, don't be tempted to use Hammerite as this cures too hard and chips allowing moisture to migrate under the paint unless you give it a good over coating of some sort of underseal. I seem to remember reading somewhere that parts of the chassis were built with galvanised steel but maybe that was the earlier cars.
                            Regards
                            Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Grum View Post
                              Hi Dave, powder coating is great if the surface preparation is done to a high standard and the heating and cooling regimes are correct, otherwise it can give more problems than its worth. In my opinion, don't be tempted to use Hammerite as this cures too hard and chips allowing moisture to migrate under the paint unless you give it a good over coating of some sort of underseal. I seem to remember reading somewhere that parts of the chassis were built with galvanised steel but maybe that was the earlier cars.
                              Regards
                              Geoff
                              Hi Geoff, I am looking at using Frost POR 15 Marine Clean, Prep & Ready & Rust prevention paint.
                              Regards
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X