Triumph gearbox mounting (Overdrive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph gearbox mounting (Overdrive)

Dear all - I'm in the process of replacing the gearbox - bearings rather worn = at least 2 inches play at the end of the input shaft.

On removing the gear box the rear mounting fell into two pieces. The mounting was a bit of a bodge as instead of fixing to the proper mount on the rear of the overdrive it was fixed using some of the studs where the overdrive case splits - not ideal as the bolts were a loose fit - explains some of the EP 90 on the chassis.

I've purchased the proper mounting - however it appears to coincide with the chassis member - so I moved the engine/gearbox forward a inch or 2 ( not too hard as the engine mounts are handed) - looked good - mounting resting on the appropriate bracket. However the propshaft is now too short!

Any suggestions? what have other people done?

Regards

Nick

Re: Triumph gearbox mounting (Overdrive)

Hi Nick, My sons Mk1 had a similar problem and we reduced the length of the chassis bracket by about 2 inches and welded a new plate to the front of it. Sorry cant find a picture.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Re: Triumph gearbox mounting (Overdrive)

Hi Ben

As the chassis bracket was about an inch too low I fixed the Triumph mounting to the chassis bracket and then made an adaptor plate to attach the mounting to the gearbox - all looks well - just need to put it all back together! Radiator steering rack( radiator bolts and bracket direct under steering column), heater (access to clutch slave cylinder), carbs, exhaust, radiator surround, headlights! Certainly takes longer to go back together!

Comment

Working...
      X