Another Sportster hits the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sportster hits the road

I first became interested in Marlins when at school and saw my then science teacher pull into the staff car park in a red Hunter (I think it was anyway, long time ago now). Then when I discovered the Sportster with its updated look and the possibility of using a BMW donor, the school boy in me was straight on the phone to Terry to place the order, having first convinced my Dad to be my partner of the build, as he was an engineer before retiring recently.

Two and a half years later on 22nd July, a date that will be forever etched on my memory, our Sportster passed its IVA at Vosa Bristol! Couple of close calls, but overall the guy was very fair. He never even picked up the spheres of doom, check about 3 points for radius, had a brief look at seat mountings etc, but again didn't get too bogged down with the prescribed tolerances/requirements. Had to bend over the ball joint washers on the front whilst there and re-align the headlights a bit, and disconnect and disable/remove (and then plug the holes with grommets) the 2 extra side repeaters that were 2 too many, one is all that is allowed apparently.

Then major brake testing, which looked pretty brutal, but passed with loads of extra in reserve, self centred ok, he was (dare I say it) very impressed with the quality of the kit, and the build we had put together.
    Had the sound level checked, with revs at 5,500. Db Limit apparently is 99db, clocked in at 98.9, he even checked it twice, and read 98.8 second time! I kid you not!

Two and a half years of blood, sweat and tears by myself and my Dad have produced a rather frisky 1994 M3 3.0 L powered Sportster. It took longer than expected, took many more hours per week than I thought I had free, cost more, and threw up so many problems that needed working around, that I really never thought the day would come!!

So now just have the DVLA paperwork to sort out, and the M3 based Sportster is good to roar through the Cotswolds!
    Attached Files

Re: Another Sportster hits the road

Fabulous news and congratulations on getting yet another car on the road! If you ever fancy doing a sequence on how the build went we would love to hear.
    More photos would be avidly digested

Comment

Great news, congratulations, well worth all the hard work........now enjoy it

Rgds DC

Comment

Have fun. Hope to see it sometime

Comment

Hi everyone. Thanks for the congrats. Do have some photos of the build, will try and sort them out soon into chronological order. Haven't taken as many as the likes of Patrick or Goo, so would not have enough to fill a dedicated website. I do have a Flikr account, but haven't been on it for so long it's been de-activated!! Will try and restart a new one and get some photos up. All my time is now being taken up by fitting the screen/wipers etc and the hood, which is Marlin's 'New' hood and screen design, so having to await some parts and modifications to the hood they supplied before it can be properly fitted. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, then Dad and I can crack on with weather-proofing the new baby!

Comment

Thinking of going to either the regular Stroud meet, or Gloucester kit car enthusiasts meet as soon as the DVLA furnish me with a number plate. Any of you guys ever go to either of these?

Comment

Congratulations. My Sportster roams north Hereford - perhaps we will meet up somewhere sometime.

We organise Marlins in the Marches - August Bank Holiday weekend - just outside Leominster - you would be most welcome if you wanted to join us.

Rob & Terresa

Comment

Originally posted by RobA View Post
                Congratulations. My Sportster roams north Hereford - perhaps we will meet up somewhere sometime.

We organise Marlins in the Marches - August Bank Holiday weekend - just outside Leominster - you would be most welcome if you wanted to join us.

Rob & Terresa
                Hi Rob. Thanks. My dad David (co builder) lives in Eardisley, even close to you! We will be sharing the car between us, so it will be with him at home fairly often! May be a bit tricky for the August bank holiday, but will try and make it if we can!

Cheers

Comment

Here is something local to you worth a visit. Prescott Hill Climb Sat and Sunday 10th and 11th August. Marcos owners and Vindicator both holding meetings yhere. Drives available on the hill on Sunday. John Butler of Vindicator sent me details. It would be good to get some Marlins there.

Comment

Hi Danny

Nigel Beats has just completed his Sportster, and the first thing he did was to take it up Prescott Hill during the Bugatti weekend!

Here are a couple of his video's of his day out:

Since July last year my target has been to the Prescott Hill Climb at this year's Bugatti Owners Club summer meeting (21st July). So we drove from Reading to Cheltenham on Saturday afternoon (the first substantial journey the car has done) and did three runs up the hill on Sunday. Great fun and the car is back home again now. Nothing's fallen off. Nothing's broken. So all around, a great success. And now I'm pulling the car to bits again to get her all painted over the next couple of weeks. Let's hope summer lasts a little longer.

with no prizes for speed or line.......... But what a great day. The sun shone. The temperature was..........Hot. And there were some lovely cars in the paddock to drool over.

Comment

Originally posted by danny.nelson View Post
                      Here is something local to you worth a visit. Prescott Hill Climb Sat and Sunday 10th and 11th August. Marcos owners and Vindicator both holding meetings yhere. Drives available on the hill on Sunday. John Butler of Vindicator sent me details. It would be good to get some Marlins there.
                      Thanks for the heads up Danny. A bit soon maybe to give it 'The full beans'. Will start with meets I reckon then build from there.

Comment

Originally posted by robdnicol View Post
                        Hi Rob. Thanks. My dad David (co builder) lives in Eardisley, even close to you! We will be sharing the car between us, so it will be with him at home fairly often! May be a bit tricky for the August bank holiday, but will try and make it if we can!

Cheers
                        Hi Rob, what a coincidence my mother and her family lived at Eardisley. My mothers sister lived there almost all her life - dying earlier this year at the age of 96 - she was May Thomas and lived at "Stoneleigh" next door to the village shop.

I love to meet up with you / your dad at sometime to see the car when you are over this way.

Regards. Rob

Comment

Hi Rob, what a coincidence my mother and her family lived at Eardisley. My mothers sister lived there almost all her life - dying earlier this year at the age of 96 - she was May Thomas and lived at "Stoneleigh" next door to the village shop.

I love to meet up with you / your dad at sometime to see the car when you are over this way.

Regards. Rob
                          Spooky! Will definitely have to try and meet up one day soon. What colour is yours? Dad thinks he's seen a red one in Hereford centre before.

Comment

Hi - not me then mine is blue. Don't know of a red one. There is one at Madley, which is unpainted. Just let us know when you are over this end and I'm sure we can have a pint in the Tram.

Rob

Comment

Hi - not me then mine is blue. Don't know of a red one. There is one at Madley, which is unpainted. Just let us know when you are over this end and I'm sure we can have a pint in the Tram.

Rob
                              Sounds like a plan! Currently still awaiting the DVLA to pull a digit or two out of their collective backsides. Phoned them earlier today, firstly they had no record of our application. Phoned back later. It was marked as received a week after we sent it, just been put 'in the queue'. Will be another week before they even look at it, so maybe get some plates by the end of August? Watch this rather infuriating space........

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X