Fuel pump - Ford DOHC Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump - Ford DOHC Injection

With an engine transplant in the offing I hope to use the Ford DOHC 8V Injection engine, moving up from the carb version of the engine.
    As a result I am going to have to upgrade to a high pressure fuel pump. Currently I have a low pressure pump feeding fuel to the carbs, so what I would like advice on is:

What kind/brand/source HP pump others have used?
    Where is it mounted?
    Do you need a pressure regulator? if so what should it be set to.
    Any data about HP hoses would also be useful.
    Does anyone use a swirl pot?

I think I will have to fit a lambda sensor, any advice about this?

Chris

Re: Fuel pump - Ford DOHC Injection

HI Chris, the 8v DOHC doesnt need a lambda sensor if it was fitted pre 92 and therefore is often without a cat - if it is a later one with cat then you can either fit one or remove the ecu inputs. The in-tank pump from the sierra will work but most people would say the simplest solution is to leave the low pressure pump (if its electric) and feed it into a swirl tank then have a new high pressure system feeding the fuel rail. There is already a pressure regulator in the fuel rail. Dont forget the idle control valve plumbing if you are using a sports air filter

Comment

Thanks for that Cameron.
      Enlighten me about idle control valve plumbing with sports air filter please!
      Chris

Comment

i will try and find a pic...
        icv.jpg

I made a plate with two 1/2" pipes coming out in a V shape, connected one to the plenum with a short length of hose and finished the other with a small air filter. Originally the icv would have been fitted between the plenum and the air filter but if you are losing the large air filter I reckon this is as good a way as any to compensate - mine starts up easily.
        Last edited by cameronfurnival; 06-08-13, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks.
          Now I understand. Well I think I do. Be ready for a few more questions in the future though!
          Chris

Comment

Engine, supplied by Lee arrived at half past midnight this morning! The poor delivery driver had been stuck on the M25 for 6 hours and covered 47 miles in that time.

It came complete with ECU and wiring loom.

Too much wiring loom! it included anti lock brake controller and other stuff too. So the next few days are going to be spent extracting what I need for the loom. Currently the back garden looks like an alien octopus as fallen on it.

Chris

Comment

its quite easy to separate out what you need Chris as it is pretty obvious what does what. work backwards by connecting it to the engine is my advice whilst its all out! Start with the injectors and dont forget the earths for anything. You will be surprised at how little of the original you need. From memory you will need the amp pack for the sparks, the injectors (and the fans are incorporated into that subloom). And a couple of odds and sods and thats it.

Comment

Hi Chris, I have only just picked up on this thread. If it is not already in the car, You might want to take look at the total height of the engine. With the engine mounts YKC supplied and fitting 13" wheels (as recommended at the time) I get about 1,75" clearance and I had to make a power bulge in the top of the bonnet to take the plenum. I am not at home until the weekend bit if you are interested I will take a couple of photos of my air filter set up.

Comment

Hi Keith,
                  Thanks for the info. I think, but only think I should be OK, its a Marlin Cabrio and its a straight swap, the only difference being the injection equipment, however the old carb with filter seems to occupy the same kind of space.
                  Time will tell, as the project has been on hold for a while caused by a large degree of landscaping activity in the back garden. Now the weather is deteriorating it seems like time to get into a freezing cold garage!
                  Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X