Ball Joint Clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Joint Clearance

My last email had a comment on it which said there was some wear in the front lower ball joints of my Cortina Berlinetta. I seem to remember, from the Arc, there is a special checking procedure BUT I cannot actually remember it; I think it involves the position of the body jack while checking. Can anyone else remember, i.e. is the body jack placed under the front cross member [with the wheel etc "hanging" or is it placed on the lower arm? [nothing wrong with my memory usually].

Re: Ball Joint Clearance

Hi Roger, Basically, one needs to check the ball joint for play when there is no load on it. I jack up the front of the car under the crossmemeber then I gently jack up the wishbone with a bottle jack under the ball joint housing. Only jack up an inch or so and then the ball joint can be eased gently with a pry bar. Any wear will become apparent. The ball joints are straightforward to replace. The originals were rivetted in at the factory (Cortina Mk III) the later ones and the replacements use bolts in the same positions. Yours may be bolted already, if not, the rivets can be drilled out BUT- make sure the spring is decompressed. The average rate is about 350lbs per inch so there is a big bang waiting to happen! I bite the bullet and remove the stub axle and spring. I then replace the ball joint on the bench.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Re: Ball Joint Clearance

Thanks Dane, I wonder if my MOT stations is only jacking up on the cross member. I did drill out the rivets while fitting new ball joints a while ago. Thanks again. Roger

Comment

Working...
      X