Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins and Motorbikes

as off Oct 2012.jpg

As a new member I noted a lot of engineers on the forum so suspect some might have interests as well as the Marlin. For me its classic bikes of which I have 3, I have restored with 2 of them running (hopefully pictures attached if I mastered the system). Just thought I would share in case there was like minded individuals in the club. As a result of their restoration (and dabbling with cars prior to that) I have ended up with lathe, mig welder, compressor and endless special tools/fastners etc - so if I can ever help in this aspect (assuming you are local) let me know.

Re: Marlins and Motorbikes

IMG-20110409-00008.jpg
    Woking-20110425-00019.jpg

The other 2 bikes

Comment

Fantastic bikes Alan, a credit to you. I also am a biker, or should I say, was, as I sold my Laverda SF2 750 to buy the Marlin. I'd had the bike for 37 years, and decided to let somebody younger to enjoy it, picture attached possibly.
      I plan to buy something like your Matchless or an Ariel and style it along the " bobber " look.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the compliment likewise with your ex Laverda. I am contemplating some sort of special next (once the Marlin is flawless). The good thing about the older 40 or 50's bikes is they are all metal and basic shapes so you can make parts to a large degree. The trouble is basket cases come nearly as expensive as finished machines because people want the projects. Its a shame to take a good classic and make it a special which inevitably is also worth less (its been my dilema).
        I hope this bike talk does not get us excommunicated!!

Comment

I really like the look of your bikes, with the big single seat, and my plan is just to get rid of some of the clutter on my next bike, control cables, wiring, etc and lower the seat a bit, the Laverda was always a bit on the high side for me, being the short arse that I am. Probably why I fit in the SWB Roadster so easily!
          The Laverda was kept 99.9% original but was starting to get very expensive for parts, hence the Marlin. And I have to admit, I get as much pleasure, if not more, driving the Marlin.
          The last sentence should appease the masses, so we should be ok!
          Gareth.

Comment

The problem with motor bikes is when you stop they fall over !
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

That reminds me of the time my mate took the sidecar off his bike, rode up to a set of traffic lights and sat there with his feet on the pegs waiting for the lights to change, and slowly fell over. I was behind him on my bike and nearly wet myself! So funny!
              Gareth.

Comment

Is the green one a Red HUnter? I ask cos when I was about 16 my brother and I had one - it was completely seized and most parts missing but we unseized it (with a big hammer and piece of timber! We never got far with it as some geezer knew what it was and offered us some dosh - about £25 iirc. The next project was a 1962 Honda C92E - we did get that going and then sold it to another geezer for £40. I have learned a fair bit since those early days

Comment

Hi Alan, I see a dull green thing.... are you a member at the HMVF ? http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/forum.php lots of motorbike addicts there too. I had a 500 matchbox way back in the early 70's, one of a long list of "wish I had not sold that" items.

Comment

The 2 green ones are:

On the trailer its a 1955 Sunbeam S7

The one being built on the bench is a 1940 BSA WM20 (this is a war model and i have its army seriel number and history)

I wish you still could get either of them for £40!!! - it would have been a good investment if you had kept it

Comment

Interesting - I had not heard of hmvf

I tend to join the main marque club as there is specific interest in the bike and I dont fancy running around looking like Dads army - mind you ......................

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                        The problem with motor bikes is when you stop they fall over !
                        I'm more concerned with mine falling over before they stop
                        In my case they are a Yamaha 1989 XT600, a 1979 Triumph T140V and a 1977 Ducati 900GTS

Oh and the Marlin, a Lightweight Landrover and a Discovery (plus just started a small fleet insurance policy )
                        Best Wishes
                        Bill Williams
                        Berlinetta

[/COLOR]Click here for The nearest thing I have to a home page

Comment

I've a 1959 Honda CB92 Benly (as well as a 1979 Honda CB400A Hondamatic, Vespa ET4, traditional type mini bike and Yamaha quad) Unfortunately deteriorating health means I can't ride any more.

Paul H

Comment

Poor health and age are the scurge of bikes and small car owners. Still you have several appreciating classics that future generations will appreciate. I like the older bikes as you can make most parts from raw steel with simple tools and have only avoided far east machines of that era as there are more pattern parts to buy.

Comment

Working...
                            X