Petrol tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol tank

Hello I would like some advise on my petrol tank and sender I would like to replace the sender and have a Bigger pick up pipe 6mm inside dimension to match my fuel pump and also get a reading for my fuel gauge. I have also been considering getting a new fuel tank made but this seems a little excessive as the one in the hopefully attached picture seems good apart from a bit of surface rust. Any advise on a sender and pick up pipe would be great. Hmmm my photos are upside down can some tell me how to get them the right way round using a iPad I have tried to rotate them before up loading them but no success.
    Attached Files

Re: Petrol tank

I managed to graft a Smiths sender, off a Toledo I think, onto the Ford tank sender plate (migged it on from memory).

It's worked fine for the last 28 years.

As for the fuel pipe, I would have thought it possible to drill a suitable hole for some 8mm steel pipe & braze it on to seal it.

PS. Tank looks in reasonable usable condition from your upside down photo's.

Neil.
    Last edited by neiltechspec; 18-08-13, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Perhaps its in prep to emigrate a la auzz!!

Comment

Reason the sender unit is not working is that the tank is upside down, turn it over and you won't loose so much fuel either!
        Ok, I've had a pint or two.........sorry!

Comment

The latest version of "Photos" on my iPad mini has an option at the bottom to rotate a picture and an option at the top right to save it.
          This is a common discussion over the years and the only real remedy was as described, to graft a Smiths sender onto the Ford assembly.
          A trawl through the Pitstops may find the article, if I recall correctly it was written by Jez Cox, otherwise known on here as lil_red_roadster.

Comment

Lol Gareth I just need to move to OZ and all will be well , I did wonder what that faint whiff of petrol was.
            Thanks steve and Neil for your advise I have read Jez Cox's article but I have decided to order a ford sierra sender unit from kit spares so will report back how well it fits to the tank.
            Regards the photos steve I did try and rotate them save them and then upload but with still no success.
            Cheers Angus

Comment

I have a superb gauge/sender setup tha really saves money - the tank is permanently full.

Comment

Working...
              X