New IVA Fog Light Requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New IVA Fog Light Requirement

For anyone still aiming at IVA: the rules on the Foglight switch have changed.

Previously the rear fog was only allowed to be on when the main lights (dip/main beam) were on - not with the side lights. This was easy to achieve, taking +ve from the main/dip circuits to the fog switch and out to the light and earth.
    Now the rules state that when the mains are switched off, and then back on again, the rear fog must not come back on again inadvertently: ie it must be deliberately switched on again.

This is not a simple circuit to solve - I thought a simple latching relay would work, but then I can not switch the fogs off without switching the main off ! -m which may technically pass IVA but is not what I want, as I dislike drivers who leave their fogs on when they are not required.

The only answer I have come up with is a kit from Cartek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...DER:SIMPLEITEM

This video demonstrates the controls perfectly:

It obviously works well, but it does cost £40 inc switch + p&p
    Last edited by Mike; 28-08-13, 08:36 AM.

Re: New IVA Fog Light Requirement

I'm guessing that the module you've found is doing somehting similar to this circuit:

Comment

Originally posted by greatoldone View Post
      I'm guessing that the module you've found is doing somehting similar to this circuit:

http://www.eeweb.com/blog/extreme_ci...r-vintage-cars
      Jeepers - no wonder my simple latching relay was not enough!
      Is all of that really necessary? - what's it all doing?

All just to switch a light bulb!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What happens if the headlights are flashed while the rear fogs are switched on?

Comment

It was a circuit very similar I had seen just couldn't locate it - glad someone did, less than £10 i think to build it
          good luck!

Comment

All the auxiliary lights on a 2000 BMW 3series work that way, so check out the E46 wiring in a Haynes manual. They also reset if you turn off or stall the engine.
            Last edited by b_caswell; 29-08-13, 04:34 PM.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I bought the Cartek one:

It took 20 minutes to wire it in - an hour all told if you include re-taping the wires and testing.
              It really could not have been any simpler, and it worked straight out of the box.
              Apart from the price I can thoroughly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
              X