Marlin restoration for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin restoration for dummies

Hi everyone, I picked up my uncles Marlin Roadster that I have inherited. So with a bit of obligation and a genuine enthusiasm I am going to try and get it back on the road. I found it in the state you see in the picture and my mechanical knowledge reaches its limits at a tyre change. The last time it turned over was 1995 if I go by the tax disc and I found the starter motor in the passenger foot well so I have my suspicions on that one. From what I know it is built on a triumph spitfire body and has a spitfire engine. That concludes what I (think) know so far!!.

I live in Ramsey nr Cambridge so if any one close by could offer any guidance then I would welcome it. I have a friend who qualified as a mechanic 20 yrs ago and then immediately downed tools and a chap at my sons Rugby club who says he is a bit of an expert with fibre glass (worked for Lola) so I have some help. 2013-07-21 10.54.22.jpg2013-07-21 10.54.22.jpg

Re: Marlin restoration for dummies

Interesting looking early Triumph Roadster with builders mods to front wings. Our Mem Sec Derek is doing a Triumph project at present and Triumph rep Ben will be interested ,
    I am sure that they will contact you. along with other members. Danny.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum looks like you have got a good project there don't worry to much about how much you know about cars you can pick it up as you go along yes it may take you a bit longer to do things as you research how to do certern things but that's fun of having a kit car and if you get stuck just post your question on here.
      You may well benefit coming along to the SEMS meeting at Dudington just of the A47 between Peterborough and Leicester I think the next one is november the 10th you have just missed one usually there is one every couple of months. Malcolm usally brings his lovely triumph based roadster which I am sure will intrest you. Angus.
      Last edited by angusgrooby; 11-09-13, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Welcome ! Looks like a great project on an early car, lots of luck, and let me(us) know if there's anything we can help with. .....and don't forget to take loads of pictures

From an archive point of view it would be good to know the Marlin chassis number and registration, please advise.....we may even be able to identify it against your uncle's name. Joining the club will get you many benefits, a build manual and loads of advice.

My email is dcunn at btinternet dot com if you don't want to put the info on here.

Rgds DC

Comment

Hiya, a good start is a manual so you can see how she went together. these can be found at http://tiyen.com/moc/ yours is a MK1 so choose one of those. Good Luck and, oh, welcome. Adrian

Comment

Hi - Welcome to the throng! You'll find a lot of nice helpful folks here - not me though, cos I've got a Cabrio! I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but before you start wielding spanners, check the paperwork, or you might find yourself with something that can only be used for spares. Have you got the V5 (logbook)? Does it say it is a Marlin, and not Triumph or something related to the donor? Can you prove ownership if you inherited it? Is it on a SORN? If you answer 'NO' to any of these, you may find yourself dealing with DVLA, having to put it through IVA, and reregistering it. None of this is impossible, but it could make the whole process much more difficult. If any of this sounds like goggledegook, don't worry, we can explain, but you need to be aware of what is involved. I'm off to Derbyshire today, so I won't be posting anything till after the weekend, but I'm sure someone else out there will be able to answer any questions. Good luck, and if you decide to do the restoration, join the club and get along to one of the meetings - even if you have to come in a tintop! Dave.

Comment

Hi Stephen, I am the Triumph tech rep and will do my best to help guide you on your mission. The car is a Mk1 roadster and after checking out Daves advise get your self a copy of the Mk1 roadster build manual on CD from club goods or have a look at www.tiyen.com/moc-pdf and get a Haynes workshop manual for the Spitfire. To help with the kit ID there should be a chassis(kit) number punched into the nearside bulk head next to the heater. If you want to have a chat you can phone me on 01322 553354 Best of luck Ben
              Attached Files
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

To back up what Dave suggested re the DVLA, I had an experience with a vehicle that had been off the road for some time.

I phoned the DVLA in Swansea and asked if I could tax it. Their immediate response was that I owed back tax from the date the vehicle was last taxed. I explained two things, One. The car was last taxed before the SORN system had been introduced so no reminder notifications had ever been sent by the DVLA, and Two, that the value of the car was far below the amount of back tax they were claiming.
                They were adamant that I owed them money if I wanted to tax the vehicle.

I decided to go to my local DVLA office, armed with every scrap of paper I could find about the history of the car, all sorted in date order. Seconds later I left with a brand new tax disc.
                Two totally different responses, despite the fact they were operating under the same rules!

Trying to get a Triumph Roadster through an IVA test (https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval) would be a nightmare as the regulations have changed dramatically since 1979 when the first Triumph Roadster was built, not impossible but some structural issues like seat belt mountings, welded to the chassis members and other issues could stretch your skills.

With luck though, the DVLA will smile upon you, and you will be able to rebuild the car to its original specification, with no major issues.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyons View Post
                  Hi everyone, I picked up my uncles Marlin Roadster that I have inherited. So with a bit of obligation and a genuine enthusiasm I am going to try and get it back on the road. I found it in the state you see in the picture and my mechanical knowledge reaches its limits at a tyre change. The last time it turned over was 1995 if I go by the tax disc and I found the starter motor in the passenger foot well so I have my suspicions on that one. From what I know it is built on a triumph spitfire body and has a spitfire engine. That concludes what I (think) know so far!!.

I live in Ramsey nr Cambridge so if any one close by could offer any guidance then I would welcome it. I have a friend who qualified as a mechanic 20 yrs ago and then immediately downed tools and a chap at my sons Rugby club who says he is a bit of an expert with fibre glass (worked for Lola) so I have some help. [ATTACH]4133[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4133[/ATTACH]
                  Without wishing to put a downer on things, but having been through this myself, you should be aware that putting this right is likely to cost four times more than you could buy a nice one for ready to drive away. Obviously this doesn't matter if the car has some sentimental value to you, but worth thinking about before you embark on it.

Comment

I would agree that the cost of restoration will be more than the value of the finished car. I am in the same situation with the Berly that I am rebuilding but it has sentimental value and it's a labour of love. It is something to think about.

Comment

Hi I have just noticed you say 'The last time it turned over was 1995 if I go by the tax disc' This could mean that the car was registered before, lets hope, as this could mean that you wouldn't have to put the car through an IVA.

Comment

If it was registered before the registration number should be on the tax disc you have for it (if its genuine for that car that is and not a guiness label)

Comment

HI all, when is the next meeting? would like to come along.
                          I have enrolled a friend of mine who qualified as a mechanic 20 yrs ago and then ditched his spanners two yrs later. But we are keen.
                          I am trying to get the V5 now. My Aunt if filing the paperwork which is very kind.
                          It says Triumph on the tax disc, is this bad?
                          Ordering up some parts to see if I can get it running, starter motor, battery, alternator etc.
                          it is twin carb but they need some work, parts are missing on the right hand side reservoir. Need to figure out how to get those parts only. New carbs would be expensive.
                          Chasis number: FC64833
                          Engine number: FC65338HE
                          Registration is/was: CSY 98C
                          not sure what size the engine is or how old the engine/donor car is.
                          Lot of questions here but any help is appreciated.

Regards

Stephen

Comment

FC engine number suggests a Triumph Spitfire mk1 or mk2 Donor
                            the chassis number you quoue is not a Marlin number but may refer to the donor vehicle.
                            others will be along soon with better information, I'm a Marina man.....
                            MOC member since 05/97
                            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Quick HPi check on reg comes up as red MK2 Spitfire.

Paul H

Comment

Working...
                              X