Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanted Marlin to rebuild

Hi all

Looking for a Marlin to rebuild for use in classic trials. Must be correctly registered. If any body knows of any out there in a derelict state, please let me know.

Previously rebuilt a Mk1 all triumph based Roadster (aquired from under a hedge), which was sold to pursue another project. So no project too big as lots of mods needed for a trials ready vehicle.

Thanks

Re: wanted Marlin to rebuild

Welcome Dave. I don't know of a car for you, but I've sent you a PM

Another thought is that if perhaps you would consider trailering a car to/from events, there are a few "known" projects
    without V5 documents which may be available at a very good price and worth thinking about?

Rgds DC

Edit - Just a thought, does the car need to be legally roadworthy etc in order to take part - in which case cancel all above !

Comment

Hi
      For classic trials it would need to be road legal unfortunatly as public roads are used to link between sections. I do sporting trials which are different beasts and trailer to them. I am also aware of some projects without V5, but to get through an IVA would be very expensive. Have gone that route on my other kit car a few years back.

thanks

Dave

Comment

Thanks for your PM.

Agree your comments ref IVA difficulties (and cost !)

Cheers DC

Comment

Hi, I may have a suitable car, where are you in the country ? Regards, Brian.

Comment

Hi Brian

Not terribly far from you. Im in Reading.

Be interested to know what you have.

Thanks
            Dave

Comment

Hi,

I know of a Marina based Roadster under a tarpaulin in Herefordshire. Any use?

Colin.

Comment

Hi Colin

Would be interested. Do you have some more details.
                I will send you an email with my details.
                Thanks
                Dave

Comment

Well looks like i have found one. Going to see it on saturday.

Is there any one that could advise me on what i should do as a start for trials use.

Dave

Comment

Consult http://www.wheelspin.info/sectionbegins/index.htm if you haven't already...& have fun..!
                    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

The author of 'Wheelspin' is Andrew Brown listed in 'Contact us' on the top ribbon of this site.
                      His username on the forum is AndrewKB but he has not been online since August.

I presume you have read the ACT regulations, I have archived a copy here http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5933...s-pdf-70k?da=y

So far as the trials world goes I have found them to be quite a closed shop, not wanting to discuss modifications that give a performance edge, and give away and advantage. Others experiences will differ.

One modification that many trials vehicles have done is to fit an early Marina Van rear axle. These were 4.55 ratio and their pedigree was from an A55/60. These are rare but do occasionally appear on eBay.
                      The standard Marina saloon axles were a different design and ratio. from 4.11 to 3.27, less suitable for slower speed work.
                      I have heard tell of Transit Axles or parts of being fitted into the Early Van axles
                      More reference at http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4039...34-pm-81k?da=y
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        The author of 'Wheelspin' is Andrew Brown listed in 'Contact us' on the top ribbon of this site.
                        His username on the forum is AndrewKB but he has not been online since August.

I presume you have read the ACT regulations, I have archived a copy here http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5933...s-pdf-70k?da=y

So far as the trials world goes I have found them to be quite a closed shop, not wanting to discuss modifications that give a performance edge, and give away and advantage. Others experiences will differ.

One modification that many trials vehicles have done is to fit an early Marina Van rear axle. These were 4.55 ratio and their pedigree was from an A55/60. These are rare but do occasionally appear on eBay.
                        The standard Marina saloon axles were a different design and ratio. from 4.11 to 3.27, less suitable for slower speed work.
                        I have heard tell of Transit Axles or parts of being fitted into the Early Van axles
                        More reference at http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4039...34-pm-81k?da=y
                        Hi Steve

This information and more is freely available on the Wheelspin site.

Comment

Thanks all.
                          I have had a look at the wheelspin website so have that as a start.
                          I need to go out and watch some events with a camera as well i think.

Comment

Steve - Thank you for stepping-in during my "absence" from the Forum (Day Job taking precedence I'm afraid). You are quite correct that the trials community can be a bit of a "closed shop" when it comes to fine-tuning but the basic mods in my (long un-maintained) Section Begins website are still valid. A few more points: Do not buy a LWB if you're serious about competing - they may be more comfortable, but they will NEVER be as competitive as a SWB. The 10cwt van axle is near essential (not just for the ratios, it's the strength as well). Ford axles are NOT acceptable (you'll be in Class 8) but Transit diffs in the van axle are OK, although the needle-roller conversion to the Marina van diff is preferred by most. But, overall, my main advice is that any potential competitors must accept the limitations of a Marlin as a competitive Class 7 trials car. You can have a lot of fun for comparatively low (compared with other Class 7 cars) running expenses, but you will never be competitive unless you're an extremely good driver who learns VERY fast.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Andrew.
                              I have aquired a 1800 mariana engined version which requires some work. I was thinking of changing to a 2l pinto engine and gearbox at some stage as i have one in my other kit car and have some experience with them.

I havent got her running as yet, so shall see what is required to get her safely back on the road. She has been standing for about 5 years with no use. It may be that it requires a total rebuild, so decisions can be made then.

In the meantime i will look for a van axle.

What are the main limitations of the Marlin to being competitive? What cars are considered to be the better option?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X