wanted Marlin to rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wanted Marlin to rebuild

Dave, Have a look at the Association of Classic Trials Clubs site and in particular regulations for Class 7c(Marlin cars) www.actc.org.uk
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben

Thanks, i have those printed out in my file of information.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewKB View Post
        Steve - Thank you for stepping-in during my "absence" from the Forum (Day Job taking precedence I'm afraid). You are quite correct that the trials community can be a bit of a "closed shop" when it comes to fine-tuning but the basic mods in my (long un-maintained) Section Begins website are still valid. A few more points: Do not buy a LWB if you're serious about competing - they may be more comfortable, but they will NEVER be as competitive as a SWB. The 10cwt van axle is near essential (not just for the ratios, it's the strength as well). Ford axles are NOT acceptable (you'll be in Class 8) but Transit diffs in the van axle are OK, although the needle-roller conversion to the Marina van diff is preferred by most. But, overall, my main advice is that any potential competitors must accept the limitations of a Marlin as a competitive Class 7 trials car. You can have a lot of fun for comparatively low (compared with other Class 7 cars) running expenses, but you will never be competitive unless you're an extremely good driver who learns VERY fast.
        One option used by the Caterham racers, not Trials so far as I know, was to use a mod from Rakeway.
        How legal is this for Trials as essentially it only modifies the halfshaft. Of course it only works for Marina Saloon axles, not the early van ones.

http://www.rakeway.co.uk/page37.html

Comment

Hi Steve

any idea of costs?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTrials View Post
            Hi Steve

any idea of costs?

Dave
            Last time I spoke to Rakeway their kit was around £750, quite a lot but you got new half shafts hubs and bearings. You are still left with a potential weak point, the differential crown and pinion.
            A new 4.11 diff centre (crown wheel and pinion full assy) is available as a recon unit for around £300 with a refund if you return a worn out unit,the same body casting fits several cars. Available from many Triumph parts stockists. You can also buy the gears separately but it is often considered that rebuilding a differential and getting clearances set is a job for the experts, not a home mechanic.

I documented this and more at http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4039...34-pm-81k?da=y , a four page document) including details of some companies who still sell new manufactured halfshafts and hubs (beware their are two variants) with some hubs drilled for Ford wheels.

The ultimate is to hold out for an early Van Axle complete, but expect high prices...

I hope this helps.

Comment

Dave - Re the last line of your 30-10-2013, 01:01 PM posting.

The quick answers are weight (too heavy), power (not enough for many engine types), and steering (a tendency to plough straight on!!). If you want a quick-and-easy entry into Class 7, buy a Dutton Melos. But ... the Melos is very fragile by comparison and certainly won't provide the wash-and-go trialling of a well-sorted Marlin. The quickest way to a competitive Marlin is to start with a SWB car, fit a Ford Crossflow or Fiat Twin Cam engine (or maybe a Pinto), remove as much weight as possible (throw away oil coolers, interior heating, all trim, etc. etc.), move the battery to the back, and then add ballast as necessary. But that still won't make it steer that well, even with 165x80 tyres on the front. The issue with the B-Series engine is that no one has really worked-out how to combine enough bottom-end torque with enough top-end power, it's either one or the other. People have tried lots of different cam and carburettor combinations, with only limited success. Oh ... and the B-Series is really heavy as well.

Another significant reason for non-competitive Marlins is there are currently very few regular Martin competitors in ACTC events. Practice may not make perfect, but it does make a big difference. There are a few Marlin owners who are always competitive whenever they come out to play, it's just that they don't come out that often.

I hope this explains, if not helps!
              Last edited by AndrewKB; 19-11-13, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the information.

I was wanting to change to a Pinto engine as i had heard that it was more powerful than the B series and am a bit more familier with them as i have one installed in my other kit car.

I was a bit confused that having so much weight hanging off the back in a toolbox and tyres , that although traction would be better that steering would be difficult.

I am used to the wash and go style of trialling as there is normally very little damage done to cars in the sporting trials arena, and talking to some who have done Classic trials have been wondering whether to continue with my quest as there does seem to be a lot of damage done to some cars and therefore lots of repairs after the events. I must go to some of the trials and have a look before I start spending money to change the car i have.

Thanks again.

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Have you seen this. It could be an easy answer to all your questions.

Jon.
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                  - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Jon

Yes i have seen that one.
                    I already have a short wheelbase that is correctly registered, that needs a bit of work doing.
                    And also a lwb partially built, unregestired, with loads of new parts.

Was tempted though but think swmbo, might complain if i bring another car home!.

Maybe i should sell the two i have and buy this one instead.
                    Last edited by DaveTrials; 19-11-13, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon.cox View Post
                      Hi Dave,

Have you seen this. It could be an easy answer to all your questions.

Jon.
                      interesting with 2001 reg it must have had a full SVA.
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                      X