Rebuild Diary MkI Roadster YTB 432

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild Diary MkI Roadster YTB 432

With my Hunter as good as sorted and running well, it was time for a new garage project, and Danny Nelson found a Triumph Herald 13 60 based MkI Roadster for me to rebuild.

Danny delivered the car here last Friday, and I'm just starting to get to work. Initial impression is that the car is in very good order for it's age, but rather than just put it back on
    the road I shall refurbish as necessary - it is after all purchased as a project so time doesn't matter.

Apart from the obvious wiring and dashboard work, a new windscreen is required, and it looks as though all the wings, bonnet, cowl etc will need removal as there is some surface rust
    on the chassis from the rear of the door forwards......the rear chassis looks fine. I guess that it's also worth removing the floor to repaint the chassis, so a new wooden floor will be needed

Mechanically all seems OK, but time will tell !

A few pics : To start with , the car has just been washed down after taking it out of storage. Then on arrival with me, note the interesting wiring/dash/windscreen games to follow.

I've cut and welded a pair of Sportster trestles (thank you Malcolm Platt) to use to get the car off the ground.

More to follow

Cheers DC
    Attached Files

Re: Rebuild Diary MkI Roadster YTB 432

Hi Dave
    This looks interesting, I will most likely be in Immingham/Scunthorpe/Grimsby in the next few weeks.
    Can I call in for tea and have a look at it ?.
    Regards
    Dave

Comment

Hi DC

Glad to see Danny has found you a Roadster project to work on.
      As you say the wiring and dash looks like its in need of a bit of TLC.

There are always interesting features in members photos that you do not realise are of interest to others when you post them - the fitting of the spare wheel upside down on a boot that is not recessed - I'd not seen that before, but makes for a simple solution.

I have a soft spot for the Triumph based Roadsters, as I always felt it was a much better front end suspension set up! - Marina owners defend your cars!

Keep the photos coming.............
      Last edited by Mike; 17-12-13, 01:58 PM.

Comment

DC from DC , very welcome, would be good to see you, but we go away on 15 Oct and very busy before then, please phone to check first !

Mike, just for you this is the spare wheel carrier, two bolts each side onto the upswept chassis, does not touch the tub. I think on rebuild I shall
        modify it to have the wheel the other way up, looks much tidier - though I suppose this way up you could always store your tools. jack etc in a
        secure covered over box thingy within the wheel - or even store your sarnies on a run!!!

Rgds DC
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dave
          Will check first and provide plenty of notice.
          Awaiting arrival of coil spring adjuster tops then I can set about putting mine back together.
          Regards
          Dave

Comment

One week on and so far still only found surface corrosion. The windscreen which was cracked came out in several million pieces.

Next fun job is to remove the ply floors, they're extremely well stuck in.

Then, after taking copious notes, the electrics will come out.

DC
            Attached Files

Comment

When is the last time you saw swivel joints and track rod ends with grease nipples.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                When is the last time you saw swivel joints and track rod ends with grease nipples.
                Today! On my old Classic Sunbeam Talbot! From memory there are about 34 total on the whole car Takes quite a while to go around them all Peter.

Comment

What a difference a day makes ! Think I shall leave the original floor in, it's in good condition and not worth the trouble to remove/replace- edit "Wrong, needed replacement, see later pics !"

Have made pages of electrics notes, and removed wires etc. Cleared the scuttle, and just bought a new master cylinder from ebay as one is newish and t'other looks original

I'm not the slimmest of guys, so now to lift the steering column to give me some "wiggle room".

DC
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by dcunn; 10-12-13, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Hi Ben, Ruby's got nipples, loads of them!

Comment

Perverts !

Lol

DC

Comment

OOOHH where's my grease gun.
                        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Back home and on with the project yesterday- bulkhead now removed.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Busy today as well, tunnel and rear bulkhead now off, thinking about the rear tub removal too - it's only another few bolts.
                            Attached Files

Comment

It was !
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X