• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rebuild Diary MkI Roadster YTB 432

It's stopped getting smaller, so now the real (fun?) work can start
    Attached Files

Comment

Wrong again, it's got smaller ! Decided that for the sake of JAFB (just another few bolts) it would be easier to refurb the rear suspension off the car.

However, some of the more reluctant bolts required the use of a different word for the F in the acronym.
      Attached Files

Comment

More steps towards a classy chassis and shiny bits
        Attached Files

Comment

Now is the time to turn the diff upside down and change the oil. The other thing is on the original Triumph the rear spring was marked front on the top leaf. So it would be a good idea to remember which way round the spring was. Although no one seems to know why!! Don't forget to consult the Marlin build manual for installing the diff as its different from the Triumph workshop details. One thing I don't get is why the gearbox remote was extended. Our Mk1 is the same set up and the gear knob falls to hand nicely. The only way is up from now.
          Last edited by b_caswell; 18-12-13, 02:16 PM.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Very interesting project, good pictures. My Mk1, Triumph Herald based, does not have an extension on the gearbox remote. Perhaps the reason is I have a very short lever and a small section cut out of the bottom of the dash. I will post a picture when I have a new scanner. David.

Comment

Thanks Ben and David. The diff is inverted and draining, and will go back in the same way it came out, the spring is now marked "F".

A little bit on the side gives variety and working at the bench for a while helps straighten the back a bit - heater box refurb.
              Attached Files

Comment

A little bit on the side is good for any mans back!!
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Still surprises me the time required on the detail. Been working on rear suspension components, diff is now repainted and back in, and chassis begins to look a bit better
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                    Mike, just for you this is the spare wheel carrier, two bolts each side onto the upswept chassis, does not touch the tub. I think on rebuild I shall
                    modify it to have the wheel the other way up, looks much tidier - though I suppose this way up you could always store your tools. jack etc in a
                    secure covered over box thingy within the wheel - or even store your sarnies on a run!!!

Rgds DC
                    A mate used to have a Y reg BMW 318 at around a year old. As a present his parents bought him a genuine BMW fuel can that fitted inside the spare wheel.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 31-12-13, 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                      Today! On my old Classic Sunbeam Talbot! From memory there are about 34 total on the whole car Takes quite a while to go around them all Peter.
                      I bought an air powered greaser that makes such jobs a lot easier. Quite cheap as well (eBay - under £15)

Paul H

Comment

Now that Fuel can I like.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                          Now that Fuel can I like.

Adrian
                          Common in Germany as illegal to run out of fuel on an Autobahn. Merc and VW besides BMW have them as options
                          Google "spare wheel fuel"
                          I've got a Gunsons reserve fuel tank that I bought new in 1981 from advert / offer / article in Car Mechanics magazine. Holds approx. 1/2 gallon and fits between the fuel pump and carb. When main tank empty you pull choke type knob and air from fuel pump then forces petrol from reserve tank.

Paul H
                          Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 31-12-13, 01:55 PM.

Comment

IIRC some Mercedes had spare wheel tool kits, with foam recesses for each specific tool. Trouble is they will be designed to hold Metric spanners etc that wont be much use in a car that is 99% Imperial so few of the recesses will be the correct size.
                            MOC member since 05/97
                            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks guys, all good food for thoughts of future ideas.

Comment

Slow but positive progress
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X