Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marina clutch problem

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the helpful reply and the very useful website guidance note.
    Sorry, but there is another question ! Clutches ! My marlin has been sitting in the garage for the past 4+ years and now that I have at last managed to get the thing started (petrol prob's) I find that I cannot get the clutch to disengage . Thinking it was a similar problem to the one that I have suffered before where the plate welded itself to the flywheel I stripped the clutch down and replaced the thrust race / plate and cover. I have also replaced the seals in the slave cylinder, new hydraulic pipe and installed a new Lockheed master cylinder that I purchased from Ebay ( America). For the last two days I have attempted to get the thing to disengage without success. At this stage I am uncertain whether to continue with the bleeding or have a closer look at the new master cylinder. I have heard rumours that bleeding this beast can be a problem , but I would have thought 3 hours would have cracked it ! Any thoughts would be very gratefully appreciated. Many thanks Steve.

Re: Marina Roadster Owners Group.

Hi Steve. I don't wish to state the obvious but when you press the clutch pedal you do get a reaction from the Slave and does it push against the fork? Is the fork movement sloppy? Can you change the gears when the car is engine is off?

Comment

sounds like a hydraulic problem...as stated above get someone to operate the clutch and look underneath to see if anything is moving

Comment

It's possible for the operating fork to 'jump' its pivot inside the bell housing, so while it may appear that the hydraulics are moving the fork it's not actually moving the release bearing. If that what is happening it's engine out I'm afraid to relocate the arm. [ I'm assuming it's 'A' or 'B' series engine]

Comment

Dear dogon,Cameronand Lister, many thanks for your help. I have , at least I thought I had, sent you a reply with more detail , but , I am not sure where it has gone .
          I'll have another crack in the garage tomorrow , Kirsty permitting (Corry viewers will understand) .

Steve.

Comment

Put the car up on axle stands and chock the front wheels then run up the engine until its warm then stop the engine engage second gear and restart the engine with the hand brake off. Press the clutch first and then cover the brakes, you may need to heel and toe a bit but the loading should free the plate. We had a car that did this often and found that putting the car into gear and switching off with the clutch depressed stopped the plate stick so much.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

From what I gather this is a new clutch assembly and I can only guess that everything is fitted correctly and that the release arm is not damaged.

The very first thing to check is that the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder is uppermost. If not, no amount of bleeding will get rid of an air bubble trapped inside.

I have sent Steve a copy of the relevant page in the workshop manual that highlights this situation, hopefully it will set things on the right course.

Those who have talked about seized clutches after a long layup have proposed solutions, many of which appear unkind but ultimately work.

Lets hope its a simple solution, that does not involve removing the gearbox from the engine again.

Comment

I had a similar problem when I changed my Marina slave cylinder for one from an MGB (Easier to get the repair parts) I found that neither the Marina or the MG bar which connects the cylinder to the fork where the right length so I had to mess about welding a small extension to one of the bars to get the system to disengage properly.

Comment

There should be no problem getting a Marina Slave cylinder from a Forum member here www.marlinownersclub.com/forum/member.php?616-c-weedon

Supplied from stock, reconditioned Marina/Ital clutch slaves, bored and sleeved with stainless steel liner for long life - these are on an exchange basis so further batches can be done in the future and keep cars on the road. Also supply the Morris Marina Owners Club - £47.00 (inc p&p) on exchange and a few new old stock (NOS) aftermarket Marina/Ital clutch slave cylinders for £38.00 (inc p&p) outright - when they're gone they're gone. If you want to send your old clutch slave that would be good as they can be added to the reconditioning batch.

Chris Weedon MOC member Tel. 01234 407518 Mob. 07967 480534Email. [email protected]

Probably best to phone or email him.

or get one from eBay

Beware MGB parts the cylinders are different bores, resulting in a different stroke,

but as Mark points out a different length pushrod can work around that problem.
                  Last edited by stevejgreen; 06-11-13, 03:07 PM. Reason: Added links to diiscussion

Comment

The last possibility may be the spigot bush has seized onto the tip of the input shaft. That is an engine out job and can involve drastic levering to get the box off the back of the engine.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Re: marina clutch problem

I had a MG Midget years ago and the clutch bonded to the flywheel after it had been sitting for about a year. We tried various tings, like towing it in gear with a tractor, but finally had to take the engine out and remove the clutch plate from the flywheel with a hammer and chisel. I hope it does not come to that!

When I replaced the clutch it worked but mad a dreadful squealing noise when depressed. I had to remove the engine for a second time and put a drop of oil on the spigot bush in the rear of the crankshaft

Comment

Did we ever get to the bottom of this problem?
                        was it simply an airlock in the slave cylinder?

Comment

Took me ages to bleed mine Steve so probably was an airlock.

Comment

Lets hope so Chris.
                            Its an easy fix to a frustrating problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X