Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter excessive rear tyre wear

Hiya all
    My Hunter is fitted with the 2 litre Ford Scorpio engine 1995 ish, 8 valves, ECU, no dizzy etc. So not rocket-powered, but can pull away in any of the 1st,2nd,3rd gears, and certainly spin the rear tyres in 1st gear, and possibly 2nd on loose surfacing. My problem is the rapid rate of wear of the rear tyres. They are Toyos, and I have just changed them at around 12,000 miles from new.

Bearing in mind that my Hunter spends most of its life whizzing around bendy country lanes, and rarely gets into 5th gear on long straight stretches of road, maybe this mileage is fair enough. The treads were fairly evenly worn, not suggesting any serious tracking problems. It steers like on railway lines as well. No complaints in that department.

With the Winter in mind, the new boots are BF Goodrich GForce Winter grade. Hopefully I will get more grip + life. Any thoughts, guys?

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Hunter excessive rear tyre wear

I think 12000 is pretty good. Don't think we have managed as much as that, probably nearer 9000.
    regards Liz

Comment

Hi Mike,
      I get about 10000 from mine.
      Chris

Comment

mike

You might want to google wear on toyo tyres, its a well known complaint, they have a bad reputation for excessive tyre wear, so 12000 on a Hunter is probably not too bad.

Comment

Got about 9000 miles on a set of toyo's on the rear, switched to Uniroyal which have done 9000 miles with maybe 2-3000 left.

Comment

OK Guys, so not too bad then I suppose, bearing in mind my car rarely goes on long straight roads. Strangely, the front tyres are at 15,000 miles and still have plenty of wear left. I would have thought that steering around the sharp bends in my neck-of-the-woods would have given them front boots a hard life as well.

On reflection, my tyre cost is fairly small. The 2 replacement Goodrich ones only cost £113 all found, carried out in my driveway by one of the modern mobile men. So at 2,000 miles per year, I should get at least 6 years wear out of them, that's less than £20 per year for the 2, say £35-ish for all 4 allowing for a longer life on the fronts.

Compare that with my Skoda Rapid, which has slightly more expensive tyres, doing say 10,000miles per year, lasting up to 4 years - my calcs look like these will cost around double per year as compared to the Hunter. So not so bad after all! Amazing what you can do with statistics!

Cheers
            Mike

Comment

I think you should check your rear toe-in. All Cabrios and Hunters I have had dealings with have had substantial rear toe-in. Mine had 6mm and 3mm on the rear wheels and so far has consumed 3 sets of rear tyres as against one of fronts in 25000miles
              I have published how to measure the rear tracking and how to make it better.
              Incidently do you hear the rear tyres 'chirrup' on a smooth road?

Comment

Working...
              X