X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain-water leakage via the heater fan-motor area

Guys
    I would be obliged for any advice on stopping rain-water getting inside my Hunter via the heater fan-motor area. Following a recent shower, I discovered a wet patch on my carpet roughly where my left foot would be when at rest between the clutch pedal and seat.

Our cars are not great at keeping the rain out, but this was the first occurrence of this type to mess up the carpet and wanted to make it the last. I removed the bonnet and the black fibreglass cover over the fan motor (see photo), cleaned up loads of leaves and other detritus while I was at it.

I checked for tightness the bolt-heads holding down the motor, and others bolts nearby, and submerged them in outdoor-quality sealant. It appeared to be me that once rain-water had entered the trough in which the motor was situated, there was no escape route at all. When I finally replace the fibre-glass cover over the fan-motor, I will apply more sealant on threads and heads of the securing bolts.

I had thoughts of drilling several holes along the bottom of the aluminium strip separating the battery from the fan-motor, and maybe this would suffice to allow the water to escape into the engine bay. Has anybody suffered this particular problem and found a cure? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Files

Re: Rain-water leakage via the heater fan-motor area

Hi Mike

The aluminium plate across the front face of the heater should be mounted 2-3mm clear of the fan motor tray for exactly this purpose:

There must be clearance beneath this plate to allow rain water to drain away. The heater support bolt with thin head can just be seen directly beneath the plate on the right. Edit: I have modified the battery tray since this photo was taken - to make room for a larger battery - see later.

Comment

Mike
      I had a very similar problem on my Cabrio which I'm 99.9 % sure I have finally cured. My seal around the wiper spindle through the bulkhead had split. Interestingly it would only leak when the car was being driven , presumably as a result of air pressure . I simply couldn't get it to leak even sticking a hose on it. If you would like some new seals pm me your address as I bought a dozen! A word of warning though, you will have to do the usual contortionist act under the dash!

Comment

Thanks Guys
        I am fairly sure that the water was being trapped in the fan-motor trough, as it had a fair amount of leaves and other detritus which had probably been trapped for some years. I vacuumed out the junk and made sure the gap below the aluminium strip was clear (mine is only 1-2mm, which probably doesn't help things). After I had buried all of the vulnerable bolt-heads in exterior sealant, I checked this all worked by pouring in some water.

To hopefully ensure the problem doesn't recurr, I have also fitted some transparent plastic tubing (around 10mm bore) to a new hole I drilled through the aluminium. The new tube runs alongside the battery and down to the ground at the rear of the engine. During the water test, off course the water now drains via the gap beneath the aluminium, but one day the tubing might help when things get bunged up again. Naturally, I will be keeping a watchful eye on this area!

Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X