HIF carburettor problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIF carburettor problems

Hi All, I require some help from the collective knowledge of the owners club with regard to a single 1 3/4" HIF carburettor on a 1.7 'O' series engine.

The background is that the car has been laid up for about 8 years and was recomissioned by someone else(wears a mask, stetson, leather boots and spurs!!!) before arriving back in my village. It's a long story.....!!!!

We have done a strip, inspection and clean of the carb. All seems to be in order and on re-fitting, the engine runs fine at tick-over speeds and a few revs while static in the garage. However, once the car moves petrol pours out of the overflow port on the back of the carb (all over the exhaust pipes - arrgh, scary or wot!!).

The cut-off needle valve operated by the float seemed suspect and has been replaced with a brand new one but the same effect. We took a gasket out of the fuel pump to try and reduce the fuel flow but again no change.

Any set-up information for the fuel pump in the Haynes manuals I have is pretty sparse.

Does anyone have information on how to set the fuel pump up or know where to get some set-up info for the fuel pump on the 'O' series?? Is there any simple things that cause flooding on the HIF carb setup??

I have a reasonable knowledge of the 'B' series engine and set-up but my knowledge of the foibles of the 'O' series are sadly lacking so any ideas or suggestions gratefully received......

Regards

Paul

Re: HIF carburettor problems

First step is to work through the information supplied at http://sucarb.co.uk/technical-hif-ty...er-dismantling if you have not done so already.

Then have a look at http://www.mgexp.com/journal/Michael74MGB/8761

It certainly sound like your float level is either incorrect or stuck or failing to seal.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

If you can suffer the yanks struggling with metric measurements have a look at this video also further reading it seems the floats on HIF can leak causing them to sink.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPCfwkIdWpc The vent pipe should have a tube on it to prevent the spillage going onto the hot exhaust.
      Last edited by b_caswell; 15-12-13, 01:16 PM.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

HI, Almost certainly the float height is too high, can't remember what it should be but that will be available online. With the carb upside down try blowing through the fuel inlet with a bit of pipe attached. If it doesn't hold pressure renew the float valve or if necessary lap it in.
        A drain pipe for excess fuel is a must and should end at a safe distance from any ignition sources.

Good Luck, Brian.

Comment

Hi,
          The other likely thing that occurred to me is that with the recent increases in the alcohol content of fuel it is very likely that rubber and plastic seals in the carb and fuel pump may have failed. Rubber and plastic hoses should also be suspected if they are older than five or so years .

Also steer clear of supermarket fuel as it is basically rubbish stuff dosed up just enough to be legally saleable. Shell V power and BP high octane will both give decent results and be less troublesome as far as attracting water and rotting rubber and plastics.

Regards, Brian.

Comment

A possible solution is

where they make reference to ethanol being a potential problem

They are part of Burlen Ltd who are also http://sucarb.co.uk/technical-hif-ty...er-dismantling where it describes float setting.

If there is a dramatic difference between supermarket fuels and the standard Shell, Esso, BP etc brands I would love to see the factual evidence based on real scientific studies. Most of the 'evidence' I have seen is based on hearsay and conjecture.
            After all, it all comes from a very few refineries.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Steve, Sorry I've been trying to post a reply but seem to have picked up a key board problem. Brian.

Comment

Hi Steve, Sorry I haven't replied earlier but seem to have picked up a virus affecting my keyboard. Hopefully now fixed.

That's useful information on 'Stay up Floats' and probably everyone with older engines will need to use these.

My comments on supermarket fuel are based on my experience of moving back here and using the nearest petrol station ( Tesco ) and having very quickly the carb and fuel pump fail on a Panda and the catalyst go on a Volvo. I've read several articles in the press supporting my view and it appears that this fuel is not a product of the major oil companies but is of Russian origin and comes into an East Coast refinery where it is made saleable with the addition of additives to make it just legal.

Sadly as with most things in life you get what you pay for.

Brian

Comment

If you are using an electric pump, they deliver at a higher pressure than SU carbs were designed for, I had to fit a pressure reducer to stop this.

Comment

Working...
                  X