YKC Romero Roadster (Marlin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YKC Romero Roadster (Marlin)

This yet to be IVA'd YKC Romero to be auctioned in 2014. Contact @Petrolheed on Twitter for more details.

I would have been interested but don't care too much for the Romero front end!

David.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: YKC Romero Roadster (Marlin)

In the pics the front sort of reminds me of a Dellow.

Paul H

Comment

Yes I though that which is interesting given both Marlins and Dellows are trialled a lot. Maybe the person who reshaped the front was a Dellow or trials fan.

I'm slowly coming around to moving on from my Vitesse 6 to a Marlin, preferably a Roadster hybrid with the 6 cylinder and overdrive box, so that'll be an early car. Failing that a V6 Cabrio in poor order to rework.

David.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

The front of that Romero is the standard YKC moulding. And David the Hybrid option was offered right up to 1990 so it wouldn't need to be that early. Sad thing is there is an abandoned hybrid unfinished and rusting away in Ayrshire sadly not registered but needs a new home.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by david View Post
          This yet to be IVA'd YKC Romero to be auctioned in 2014. Contact @Petrolheed on Twitter for more details.

I would have been interested but don't care too much for the Romero front end!

David.
          I agree, I don't know what YKC were thinking- they took a pretty looking car and spent time, money and effort turning into an absolute minger! Or was it required for the SVA/IVA at the time, I hope so...

Comment

Minger.... It's a thing of great beauty! Merry christmas everyone!

Comment

The guide price on this car is £3000 to £4000, which is what we believe to be a good price for what is essentially a brand new car (so to speak). The kit alone was 5 figures.

Comment

The guide price on this car is £3000 to £4000, which is what we believe to be a good price for what is essentially a brand new car (so to speak). The kit alone was 5 figures.[/QUOTE]....................Not if it still needs an IVA!
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheffield_Auction_Gallery View Post
                  The guide price on this car is £3000 to £4000, which is what we believe to be a good price for what is essentially a brand new car (so to speak). The kit alone was 5 figures.
                  1st Rule of Bidding at an Auction: Believe Nothing; Check Everything.
                  2nd Rule of Bidding at an Auction: Know the True Price

The description is quite clear, no ambiguity there.

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                    ....................Not if it still needs an IVA![/QUOTE]

I think Ben is right, without an IVA and registration this cars value is the sum of the parts.
                    I can't recall the details but I think IVA and registration could be very challenging as it has been finished by a garage so not "Amateur built" . Without details and the V5 of the donor car then even if registration is possible, then a "Q" plate is likely.
                    It's described as "essentially brand new" but it was completed in 2006 so will need to be fully recommissioned again as brake components and rubber gaiters are likely to be hardened or perished.
                    I'm not saying it would be impossible but anyone thinking of bidding should do a lot of research first into what would be involved in getting it tested and registered.
                    Of course, it begs the question why, if it was finished in 2006, it wasn't SVA'd and registered??

Comment

the Romero was designed to pass SVA so passing an IVA shouldn't be too much of a challenge with a few careful mods. The garage-built thing shouldnt be a problem unless the garage in question habitually makes kitcars - though there are many kit car completers that get by ok. I think it has been advertised ok and I hope the buyer does their research well. My own estimation is that they should budget around £1000 for the IVA test (first test, remedial work plus retest and registration, plates etc) so should bid accordingly. I reckon £3k to £4k would be cheap IF it had IVA already in place.

Comment

If nothing else, if a potential buyer does his research properly he will find this Thread as it is in a public forum. At least then he will be armed with a collection of views and opinions from members of the MOC on what the maximum price might be.
                        I wonder if any MOC members will be at the auction?

Do we as a club have a wider responsibility to our members, only 63 have viewed this thread so far, should someone compose a short article for Pitstop highlighting the possible pitfalls of the purchase? There is only a couple of weeks before the next contribution deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                          should someone compose a short article for Pitstop highlighting the possible pitfalls of the purchase? There is only a couple of weeks before the next contribution deadline.
                          Thanks for all your input to this thread. Please can we look at the pros as well as any pitfalls to any potential purchasers too please - so to have an open and none-biased debate please? As I mentioned before, we do of course want to do our best for our client who currently owns the car as this is our duty to her.

Comment

The official estimate has now been issued at between £1000 to £2000 which is great news for a potential new owner

Comment

With respect to all the above chaps. The cars value is what someone is prepared to pay for it on the day, and of course which market place it is offered in will have an effect on the price as well. I know a prominent dealer in kitcars who no longer offers his cars in kitcar adverts, but targets a very different market. Have a look at the figure asked for a well known sportster last year on Classic and sports car, and then have a look at the asking price for the same car on the same site today. Only an observation , as my personal view on the value of the YKC would be based on the sum of the parts only.

Comment

Working...
                              X