X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slackness in transmission

You can "teach" the ECU to recognise the throttle position sensor settings,

Switch on ignition, do not start engine,
    Press throttle pedal to the max and release at least 10 times quite quickly,
    Turn off ignition, leave it for a few minutes, and then start engine.
    This gives the ECU the values/voltage for idle and full throttle settings, and should reset itself accordingly.
    Hope this helps.
    For EEC-IV ecu voltage from ecu 5 volts. On EEC-111 it is 9 volts. ECU has three wires, 1. Supply voltage (depending on ecu).2 earth return, 3. REF signal return to ecu. Time to get out the multimeter!
    The signal return wire should read for EEC-IV,
    Closed throttle should be 0.5/0.6volts.v
    Full throttle about 4.5/4.75volts, anything reading 5 volts or 0 volts TPS is faulty.

Ideally you will have about 12% of the voltage at tickover and 90% at full thottle.
    Not all TPS are adjustable it depends on vehicle age ECU.

Ooops sorry forgot to mention EEC-111 readings 1.4v to 1.8v on tickover and 8.5v at full throttle. 9v or 0v faulty TPS. All readings taken on the Reference signal return wire.
    Last edited by philcoyle; 26-01-14, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Guys, in particular Phil for the 'teaching ECU' info. I did the 10 presses of the throttle pedal routine, and the next journey was a revelation as compared to numerous trips over the past months! The jolting at 1700 rpm had disappeared, leaving just small amounts of feedback from the slackness in the transmission system. I always thought that the problem was electronic, for the jolting to be so reliably at the same engine revs. Any ideas Phil what exactly happens as a result of the 10 pedal presses?

Comment

gouldsborough7 I have PMd you as the site will not let me post a reply 3 times failed.
        No 4
        You must remember that the ECU has the TPS values already installed in its program.
        When you switch on the ecu sends power to the various sensors and switches, and allows the fuel pump to prime the injector rail.
        You can press the throttle pedal up/down untill the cows come home, the ecu wont recognise it, it only recognises tickover and full throttle. Because it is written in its program.
        The TPS values are set in the ecu program and the ecu is self diagnostic it recognises the values if you jog its memory, so to speak. I cannot remember the exact number of up/down pedal movements but if 10 works for you then fine. Grey matter not what it used to be.
        Once the engine starts to turn over everything else comes into play, the TPS is just a carbon track with a wiper contact on it, and only produces a recogniseable signal to the ecu once the engine is started, it's a potentiometer, rheostat,or what ever you choose to call it, and has NO seviceable parts, but it can be replaced just as long as you get the right rotation and shaft drive, usually "D" shaped or flat bar, and follow the settings mentioned in earlier posts, also the adjustable type can be altered and voltage output set to your ecu voltage checked then "teach" the ecu to recognise it.
        It becomes easier if you pigeon hole each seperate ecu operation and not try to accept it all at once, this was the problem a while ago when there was a problem understanding why there was no power to injectors when you turn on the ignition.
        You have to break down each part of the operation that happens in a split second.
        You can now hold a spirited conversation with your local expert mechanic, the EECIV does have a socket at the rear of it to allow it to be remapped, but as you say not by modern equipment, also on your wiring loom there should be either a round 3 pin socket or a lozenge or squashed pyramid shaped 5 pin socket. Drapers do a code reader for these sockets about a tenner, but DON'T look in the back of the code reader it will make you cry. Finest Chinese electrickery.
        It works on a flashing number of lights and after you count them all up you look through your code info to find the problem.
        I'm glad the "teaching" helped and makes driving a little more pleasant, but a lot of the mechanics today are not familiar with the past technology, sometimes its kind of nice being old don't you think.
        Last edited by philcoyle; 04-02-14, 12:12 AM. Reason: will not be beaten by a [ chip]

Comment

Phil
          Thanks again for all of your trouble. Where did you learn all of this info?

Mike

Comment

Hi mike
            A lot of the info I have had to put together from many different sources. From American Ford ,Bosch Electronics, Haynes Manuals(very confusing), Bosch and Ford are the parents to all efi systems and every car manufacturer took the technology from them.
            I fitted a Pinto EFi into my Marlin and so had to learn from scratch, Fords in their wisdom changed the wiring colours and set up every time they brought out a new model, going from distibutor with ignition module to distributor with remote module and then to distributorless and so on. All with the inevitable wiring colour changes etc. I thought I knew a lot about EFi from back in the day when we all ran screaming from the garage because one of them computer controlled cars had come in for a service, just how wrong could I be.
            A good start if you enjoy a good read is to get a book by Charles O. Probst, SAE 1980-1987 on Ford fuel injection & Electronic Engine Control. When you have finished this over the Winter what you dont know about fuel injection wont be worth bothering about, take your time and understand every component even if it doesn't apply to your car.
            Or the alternative is to ask questions on here, and then everyone gets a bit of knowledge.

The Draper Ford 5 pin Fault Finder is stock number 68080 and dont look in the back, but I know you will, also for 3 pin socket. Also mentions the Haynes fault code techbook stock number 59237

Looks like Draper no longer do this code reader but the following does, the price is a bit steep!

Gunson Fault Code Reader - Ford EEC-IV 1986-1997 77032Gunson Fault Code Reader - Ford EEC-IV 1986-1997 77032
            Last edited by philcoyle; 04-02-14, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Many thanks, Phil.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X