Roadster hood/roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roadster hood/roof

Marlin use CJM Upholstery in Torpoint for the Sportster hoods.

I don't know whether they have the Roadster patterns but may be worth a call

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by nigel View Post
      Marlin use CJM Upholstery in Torpoint for the Sportster hoods.

I don't know whether they have the Roadster patterns but may be worth a call

Nigel
      I've e-mailed pics and details to this company and also RS Sewing previously suggested by Ben - I'll post as soon as they get back to me. Current winner is "K Baggs Trimming" of Branksome with a quote of £1500+VAT

Comment

Originally posted by cdow View Post
        I've e-mailed pics and details to this company and also RS Sewing previously suggested by Ben - I'll post as soon as they get back to me. Current winner is "K Baggs Trimming" of Branksome with a quote of £1500+VAT

Chris

That is crazy money!

My local trimmer has offered to make my Cabrio hood from scratch, (which means making all new patterns) in Mohair, trimmed to a high standard, and undertake the final fitment himself, for around £500 (no VAT).

He makes hoods on a regular basis for Cobra's in his spare time, and works on a contract basis developing new seats and interiors for BMW, Audi, and currently Bentley, so he is clearly very good at what he does.

He has undertaken an initial measure up, but I had not fully prepared my hood - I ordered a standard Marlin LWB Cabrio frame, but it requires a back plate to secure it to the tub, side tension wires (to hold the hood down over the side screens), plus rubber trim and catches fitted to the cant rail, before he could take his final measurements.
        These are almost complete now, so next weekend I should get the final measurements taken, and then it will be down to when he can make the panels, and find around 4 hours to carry out the final stitch to fit - he will literally tailor it to my car.
        I'll keep you posted, and put up loads of pics for everyone to have a look.

........but don't pay £1,500!

Comment

Hi All,

There is a brand new LWB roadster hood on eBay at the moment. Nothing to do with me but thought it might help those currently looking for one.
          Attached Files
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
          - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Chris

That is crazy money!

My local trimmer has offered to make my Cabrio hood from scratch, (which means making all new patterns) in Mohair, trimmed to a high standard, and undertake the final fitment himself, for around £500 (no VAT).

He makes hoods on a regular basis for Cobra's in his spare time, and works on a contract basis developing new seats and interiors for BMW, Audi, and currently Bentley, so he is clearly very good at what he does.

He has undertaken an initial measure up, but I had not fully prepared my hood - I ordered a standard Marlin LWB Cabrio frame, but it requires a back plate to secure it to the tub, side tension wires (to hold the hood down over the side screens), plus rubber trim and catches fitted to the cant rail, before he could take his final measurements.
            These are almost complete now, so next weekend I should get the final measurements taken, and then it will be down to when he can make the panels, and find around 4 hours to carry out the final stitch to fit - he will literally tailor it to my car.
            I'll keep you posted, and put up loads of pics for everyone to have a look.
            Any chance you could share who your local trimmer is please?

Comment

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

I can make a new Marlin hood and side windows using yours for a template...............
              Mohair top and zip in/out windows £560.
              Vinyl top and windows £460.
              Hoods are supplied with all necessary fixings and all materials used are vehicle quality and the clear widow material is DOT approved for use as vehicle windows.

If required I can also fit the hood at my workshop for £95.00

I am not vat registered so there is nothing to add to my prices.
              Any postage costs are charged at cost, I do not make profit from P&P

Regards,

Ray

RS Sewing Solutions.
              m: 07927387235

Comment

Originally posted by jon.cox View Post
                Hi All,

There is a brand new LWB roadster hood on eBay at the moment. Nothing to do with me but thought it might help those currently looking for one.
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlin-Roa...-/331223945288
                jeez,
                i got one of those, still in the packaging thrown in when i bought my LWB for 500 quid.

edit - 500 was for the car and hood and everything

Comment

Originally posted by cdow View Post
                  Any chance you could share who your local trimmer is please?
                  Of course Chris.

Dave Roake
                  PE12 8PS

Near Spalding
                  South Lincolnshire.

Mobile : 07958 722301 - (he works away during the week)

Dave strongly suggested he fit my hood, as he says it means he can literally tailor the final finish of the hood to my car, rather than me struggling with an off the shelf pattern. He reckons he will need the car for around 4 hours for the final fit.
                  I guess South Lincs is a long trek from Horsham, but he would be happy to supply and fit one if you were interested.

Once I have had my Cabrio LWB hood made he reckons he could then cut out the basic pattern and tailor fit one in 4 hours for anyone interested in a similar hood.

If you have an existing Roadster hood as a pattern I guess he could prepare the general patterns, and then fit one in a 4 hour visit - but don't take that as gospel - please contact him direct for advice on a Roadster.

If you wish to contact him may I suggest you try at weekends as he works away during the week. I usually text him first to see if its convenient to call him.
                  Mention my name, and he will know the type of car, though he will not appreciate the finer differences between a Cabrio and a Roadster or that you will require side screens etc.

Your quote from RS Sewing Solutions looks a lot nearer what you should be able to get a good hood made for by a local self employed upholsterer. Where are they based?
                  I guess a Roadster hood takes more making than a Cabrio as it requires side screens?

Comment

Does anyone have a fabric roof for sale?

Comment

Working...
                    X