Roadster hood/roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster hood/roof

I have build building my lwb roadster for quite some time now and nearly finished it however when I bruoght the car it had no roof at all, I have seen some threads on here about getting one from ykc but can't seem to get hold of them, just wondering if any one knows where I can get one from or the best way to go about making one thanks luke

Re: Roadster hood/roof

Hiya

Welcome to the Forum, I see this is your first post.

YKC are no longer in business.

There was a company who would do the roof for you but I am not sure whether they will now.

If you let us know where about's you live I am sure there are members who will let you take a template of one so that you can get one made.

I live in High Wycombe Bucks and have a complete unmolested one you can take a template from.

Adrian

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply I live in Cornwall Redruth, I have seen some pictures of hardtops been made for a roadster and look really good just wondering what would be the easiest to make ? Thanks

Comment

There are quite a few members in the Cornwall / Devon area, the original home of the Marlin, hopefully someone will be along. Alternatively have a word with the Membership Secretary, he might release a few names in your area.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Luke
          The original hoods/sidescreens were made by Lang and Potter in Plympton ,Plymouth. I believe several owners have tried contacting them regards making new hoods but without success. They are still in business but as to whether they still have the patterns is unclear.

Comment

Surely it's be worth the club beg, steal or borrow a good hood and making a master pattern ?
            I'm sure if such a master pattern existed then it'd be easy for members to have duplicates made.
            I'd gladly "carve" such a pattern out of steel so then all club would have to do is trace around it onto brown paper an add to club goods section.

Paul H

Comment

Yes I have also tied lang and potter also without success lol seems to always go to answer phone, it would make a lot of sense for the club to get or make a pattern for the roof as this seems to be a frequent problem and I would rather give the money to the club for the design/pattern than give it to another company.

Comment

Just thought, my one would only be useful for a short wheel base as the hood roof for the LWB would be 6" longer.

Could make a paper template from mine although its a SWB
                Last edited by listerjp2; 31-12-13, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Try emailing Lang & Potter [email protected]; The problem of the club holding template patterns for all the hoods would prove to be a mammoth task. Roadster Mk1...Mk2 SWB...Mk2 LWB... Berlinetta...Cabrio SWB...Cabrio LWB . Your best bet would be to do the rounds of the boat yards in your area and find a local trimmer.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Luke,
                    There do seem to be a lot of cars without hoods..I'm in the same situation as you and wonder if a fibreglass hard top might be more of DIY proposition that a hood.I have spoken a sail maker in Falmouth but they really wearnt interested.I know several Marlin owners close to me and you but not with a lwb .Good luck .ps just down the road fm you in St Day.

Comment

My LWB Hybrid, is another without a decent hood.

After 28 years it has just about had it now.

Lives in the garage with a home made (from Spitfire original) tonneau now and doesn't go out in the wet.

I've had to repair the side screen stitching several times over the last few years, now it's almost beyond repair, but I will restitch some of it again for Stoneleigh.

Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornish Wrestler View Post
                        Hi Luke,
                        There do seem to be a lot of cars without hoods..I'm in the same situation as you and wonder if a fibreglass hard top might be more of DIY proposition that a hood.I have spoken a sail maker in Falmouth but they really wearnt interested.I know several Marlin owners close to me and you but not with a lwb .Good luck .ps just down the road fm you in St Day.
                        I've always fancied making a hardtop that looks like a hood !
                        I fact was thinking only yesterday how I'd go about it and came up with the following idea.
                        Ideally it would require a new hood made out of cloth backed vinyl. Attach to car as normal then coat cloth with resin to make a hard shell When dry add various layers of fibreglass. Allow to harden for a few days then remove and finish off the edges which where attached to the car and not possible to do when in situ. That way it should produce a basic shell complete with creases etc and also have the finish of vinyl. Of course frame would be bonded in place so either leave it or develop a method of removing whilst hood still retains shape.
                        Another idea could be make a hood cover out of something like heavy cotton (hospital quality bed sheet?). Attach to frame , coat with resin and build up layers of fibreglass on top when dry. Smooth finished result and then cover with your hood or a clad in vinyl like was fashionable on saloon cars in 60's & 70's.
                        Looking at my Sprite I also think an early, rounded style, Spridget hardtop could be a good starting point for adapting

Paul H

Comment

I have a YKC LWB roadster with a hood that is a perfect fit and works well, you are quite welcome to visit and make some patterns, If the material and an industrial sewing machine can be sourced it's not beyond the capabilities of a kit car builder to make one.
                          Ref comments about a hard top for a Roadster I have just read an article in Nov Kit car about a hard top for a Dax Rush, the process is very complex and lengthy for what would be a 'one off' however it's something I fancy having a go at!
                          watch this space.
                          YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                            Try emailing Lang & Potter [email protected]; The problem of the club holding template patterns for all the hoods would prove to be a mammoth task. Roadster Mk1...Mk2 SWB...Mk2 LWB... Berlinetta...Cabrio SWB...Cabrio LWB . Your best bet would be to do the rounds of the boat yards in your area and find a local trimmer.
                            Sent: 16 January 2013 18:19
                            To: Chris Dow
                            Subject: RE: Marlin/YKC Roadster Hood

Hello Chris,
                            Thanks for your enquiry but we don't have the patterns and have effectively stopped doing car hoods and trim. I don't know your location but any local car trimmer worth his salt should be able to help you.
                            Sorry we can't assist.
                            Regards,
                            David Potter

Comment

To save you the trouble, I have already contacted every trimmer in the country (and I mean every single one on yell.com)... and there are a lot of chancers wanting up to £2000 for a hood and side screens (they clearly don't need the business), the average being £900. I explained to a few that I could buy a whole sodding car WITH a roof for what they where asking... The cheapest was Star Covers Leeds Ltd at £440+VAT, which is still a hell of a lot.

I really wanted a new hood but have decided to stick with the one I have. For the stupid money being asked it might be worth buying a sewing machine and making your own - how hard can it be?

Comment

Working...
                              X