X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Body Panels

Hi

Ebay Item 251424251382

Now this one is interesting, it is like my old Marlin Mk2 the wings have the 6" insert which means these can be used for both LWB and SWB.

I know the club was looking into spares, well heres a Golden Opprotunity.

Adrian

Re: Marlin Body Panels

I thought the same, bit the listing now says SWB Cabrio - are they that similar? Look like LWB Roadster to me with those inserts...

Comment

Definitely Roadster

Comment

LWB Hybrid Roadster I reckon (Triumph front suspension inner wings)

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
          Definitely Roadster
          The seller says the inner wings shown are GRP, aren't all the Roadster ones aluminium? Mine certainly are.

Comment

The Mk2 all had ali inner wings.

The only way we can tell is to measure the width of the wing top, I am sure the Cabrio was wider.

When I get home tomorrow I will measure mine.

If someone could measure a Cabrio that would confirm my thoughts.

Adrian

Comment

Adrian, I think you are not entirely correct there.

Mine is a Hybrid MK2 & had GRP inner wings (purchased in 1984, built in 1985).

When I was building, the fit of the inner wings was so bad (poorly molded - angles were all wrong), I complained to Marlin & they sent me another pair.
              They were better, but even these needed a lot of work on the lower edge that goes against the bonnet sides / cowling as the angles still were not right.

Neil.

Comment

Hi Neil

They say you learn something everyday, thanks for that.

I wonder how many cars were delivered with this type of inner wing.

Is that why you went for cycle wings in the end?

Adrian

Comment

Maybe it's time for someone to pop down to Hampshire and have a measure up to see what the seller really has.
                  Not a job for me, I'm in the wrong time zone.
                  But then if you have no interest in buying the panels, whatever they are for, it's a bit academic.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I would think it was probably only the MK1's & MK2 Hybrids that came with these.

Went the cycle wing route after removing the wings for repairs / repaint in 2004.

I wondered what it would look like with a pair of cycle wings, bought a cheap pair (Locost I think they were).

They've been on ever since.

The original wings were donated to the club, Danny Nelson came & picked them up.

Neil.

Comment

Nope... even some early Mk2 Marina cars have GRP inner wings. As Neil said they were a pig to fit especially if the support brackets were incorrectly engineered. Definitely LWB roadster panels interesting to know where the chassis went. Is anyone thinking of putting in a bid as there is no point us all out doing each other just for spares ?
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                        Nope... even some early Mk2 Marina cars have GRP inner wings. As Neil said they were a pig to fit especially if the support brackets were incorrectly engineered. Definitely LWB roadster panels interesting to know where the chassis went. Is anyone thinking of putting in a bid as there is no point us all out doing each other just for spares ?
                        I was going to bid for these as I particularly want the bonnet. However, if as someone suggested, the the club is going to bid to keep these as spare molds for all to use then I won't.

Comment

My hybrid, bought in 1986, had ali inner wings.
                          As I recall they were not the easiest item to fit - but from memory that was more to do with the outer wings pivoting around the door pillar position on the chassis: if they were lined up with the chassis at the back there was a widening gap to the inner wings at the front, and vice-a-versa.
                          One side was more difficult than the other.
                          In the end I forced them to close the gap by bolting both ends and then just tightening the fixings up.

Not much changed in 20 years, as the Cabrio was very similar!

Comment

Originally posted by cdow View Post
                            I was going to bid for these as I particularly want the bonnet. However, if as someone suggested, the the club is going to bid to keep these as spare molds for all to use then I won't.
                            As far as I am aware the project of holding spare panels is not going to happen so get in there Chris
                            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Guys the wings are not Cabrio. There are very obvious differences. The panels, wings etc are from a roadster kit. I have come across quite a few roadsters with grp inner wings. Like all models the roadster was developed over a number of years and this involved a few changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X