Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground clearance.

HI Guys,
    Just over joyed at gaining an extra 3" of ground clearance at centre of Berly. Tried all bumps with 2 xup, total silance at 30mph.
    How ?.
    My local exhaust garage I gave open cheque to replace my( 6 x times in 4 yrs, damaged via speed humps and rail crossings) with a new stainless front to back system and attempt to rase clearance on Pinto Cortina powered.
    Apon driving onto ramp in garage for inital inspection, the car grounded itself by locking solid half on and half off.
    So for 3 days puzzle started.
    Now, WOW.
    He routed exhaust from engine exhaust manifold streight down then forward accross engine sump beneith timming chain ( giving a sump protector) then over to inner chassie( keeping away from fuel pipe). streight to rear axel, looping over axel gaining a single duel enclosed silencer box. Then exiting under rear valance in twin megatone short enlarged pipes. ( box and megatone are sports car derived), pipe is70mm.
    Increase in BHP IS 3/5,, petrol is up 5 mpg, engine sounds alive and well, plus looks like a V8 from behind.
    Costs £365.00. Good for me and my Berly.

Re: Ground clearance.

I had the same problem. I went for the easier option and fitted a side exhaust. There is a lot of room to feed the pipes through the lower side panels. I wouldn't want an exhaust running under my sump as it sounds yours is. Also a mildly tuned Pinto likes twin downpipes for a fair distance to allow better breathing. They then join after about one metre or so in to one. The good old 4-2-1 system. The side exhaust allows this with ease. Naturally there is a catch. With the Pinto exhaust being on the RHS - the driver's side, the radio becomes superfluous at higher speeds!
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Dane.
      With regards to exhust under engine sump note.
      The pipe runs under timing belt cover where sump rises up thus giving st/st pipe usage as sump guard.
      My tuned pinto with cast iron manifold (standard) breathing, is better than ever ,even engine temp is even at all times around 93f. Oil at steady 50 lbs.
      The Radio can be listened too above rear pipe noise full running or when stationary with it not turned up.

Comment

Sounds very good Fred. Is there any chance of a photo or two?

Comment

will do as soon as weather permits underfloor heating requirements for it.

Comment

attached photos as requested.

Comment

Re: Ground clearance Pictures as promised.

Attached photos for Dane
              [ATTACH]4708[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4709[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4[ATTACH]4712[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4711[/ATTACH]710[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4711[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4712[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4713[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4714[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4710[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4710[/ATTACH]
              Attached Files

Comment

very neat!

Comment

Crikey Fred, quite a complicated fix but looks very good. Maybe I'll change mine.

Comment

Working...
                  X