Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Re: Overheating in a Marina Roadster

Originally posted by boustrophedon View Post
      You're on ignore mate.
      I care not one jot!
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
        I care not one jot!
        My original document is available, unrestricted.
        Enjoy.
        Any edits or constructive critics will be considered.
        here or there
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
          My original document is available, unrestricted.
          Enjoy.
          Any edits or constructive critics will be considered.
          here or there
          All makes sense Steve, thanks for sharing.

Interesting to see your comment about anti-freeze as I had heard that the opposite was true! Probably why you thought it was coming in from the left field

I went for and 80C thermostat and a Civiv 4 core aluminium radiator with an expansion bottle and I've been very pleased with the results.

I also moved the radiator switch from the bottom hose to the thermostat housing (had to braze on a boss) and it now comes on about 7-10C earlier than it did in the bottom hose (same switch) and seems to have a narrower operating range as well.
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
            All makes sense Steve, thanks for sharing.

Interesting to see your comment about anti-freeze as I had heard that the opposite was true! Probably why you thought it was coming in from the left field

I went for and 80C thermostat and a Civiv 4 core aluminium radiator with an expansion bottle and I've been very pleased with the results.

I also moved the radiator switch from the bottom hose to the thermostat housing (had to braze on a boss) and it now comes on about 7-10C earlier than it did in the bottom hose (same switch) and seems to have a narrower operating range as well.
            Thanks for the validation,
            I collated it from numerous sources, not all can be fully validated as every roadster is subtly different, but I beleive it to be a good starting point.

All those years ago when I did my research, (no, not flat earth or conspiracy theorist) I was at a radiator refurbisher where a previous customer was complaining about repeated overheating. Whilst I was chatting, they removed his water pump to expose missing vanes from its rotor.
            The customer was adamant that everything was fine, up until that point.

i did not hang around to find if that was the solution, but I gathered from a subsequent visit, that it was not unusual for a car that stood over winter even with the correct antifreeze,(another can of worms in a classic car) I have shared a document called ‘colours of antifreeze’ or something similar for info.

Good luck to anyone looking for the ultimate cure, it’s nothing like a modern car.
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
            X