Long cockpit in SWB ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long cockpit in SWB ?

I thought I'd read somewhere that there was an option of a long cockpit for the SWB that involved relocating the rear "bulkhead" allowing more rear movement of seat. Despite searching can't find
    anything so am wondering it I'm confusing the Marlin with another kit car.
    Was there such an option ?

Thanks.

Paul h

Re: Long cockpit in SWB ?

Many different mods have been carried out by the individual but what you describe was never offered as an option by Marlin. There was Swb and Lwb the latter gave a longer cockpit.

Comment

Originally posted by danny.nelson View Post
      Many different mods have been carried out by the individual but what you describe was never offered as an option by Marlin. There was Swb and Lwb the latter gave a longer cockpit.

Cheers Danny.

Getting mixed up with another car !

Paul h

Comment

Hi Paul

I have on my computer a pdf copy of a Mk 2 Marina based build manual which lists the mod of a long cockpit to a standard wheel base car by moving the rear bulkhead back by 40mm and narrowing the tunnel in the seat area.
        There are no diagrams of the work involved only the text that it can be done along with lowering the floor.
        I can send you a copy if you PM me with your email address I will send it to you.

Regards Austin

Comment

Thanks Austin.
          PM sent.

I've got two copies of the Marina build instructions - those from stevejgreen's excellent Keep and Share selection as well as a different set that came with my car. Just double checked and neither has anything about such modifications.
          How many versions of the Marina build instructions were there ?

Paul H

Comment

Hi Paul,
            I have two different build manuals for the Mk2 cars so I guess Marlin adjusted and added to them as the cars progressed.

Regards Austin

Comment

Any member can upload documents to the documents section of this forum
              Click FORUM then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Useful DOcuments, then go into the area you want to upload to and off you go.

Comment

Thanks to Austin I now have another version of the build instructions. Main difference is a small section that describes the kit options such as LWB.
                As far as Long Cockpit it would seem this was also an factory option -

"This is a small modification to the standard wheelbase car to enable the over 6 foot 2 inch driver to gain legroom. The rear bulkhead is moved back 40mm and the more complex transmission tunnel is narrower at the seat position"

So it could be people have long cockpit vehicles without knowing if they weren't the original builder !

Paul h

Comment

I believe there are three official versions of the marina build manual based on age of vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                    I believe there are three official versions of the marina build manual based on age of vehicle.

I've now got all three then :-)
                    The first is VERY basic.

Paul h

Comment

Hi All

As far as I know the LWB version was a factory option and I am not aware of anyone making the amendments themselves.

The extra length was in the cockpit area, this can be seen on some early LWB's with a 6" filler in the wings. Later this was built in and new wings without the filler were produced.

The lower floor pans were also a factory option but I am led to believe this may have been carried out by the builders if they wanted the extra headroom.

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
                      Thanks to Austin I now have another version of the build instructions. Main difference is a small section that describes the kit options such as LWB.
                      As far as Long Cockpit it would seem this was also an factory option -

"This is a small modification to the standard wheelbase car to enable the over 6 foot 2 inch driver to gain legroom. The rear bulkhead is moved back 40mm and the more complex transmission tunnel is narrower at the seat position"

So it could be people have long cockpit vehicles without knowing if they weren't the original builder !

Paul h

Comment

If you look from under the car you can see where the room is to move the rear bulkhead but the problem with moving the seat back even further in a SWB is your head will be pushed forward by the hood and frame.
                        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Surely the real limiting factor is the clearance required for the differential.
                          Some when fitting a larger Dolomite sprint axle, say they had to modify (remove) some of the casing webs for it to clear the tub, others, like myself found it a snug fit, but no modification necessary.
                          Since a LWB is simply a SWB extended backwards from the front bulkhead, and measured from the rear forward, all the rear suspension mounts are identical, I wonder if there are slight differences in the various tub dimensions, either by original design update, or by customer modification.

Comment

Many thanks Austin. I knew about all the other itens on the two page list, and I had known members who re positioned the rear bulkhead, but I had never seen this mod listed before. Danny.

Comment

Hi Danny,
                              No problem
                              Austin

Comment

Working...
                              X