Steering Rack Identification / Gaiters Part Number for Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack Identification / Gaiters Part Number for Hunter

In anticipation that I will need to replace my steering rack boots at some time I am trying to find out what part numbers to ask for. Unfortunately the Ford sticky part number label was removed from the rack when it was repainted and having been put in a safe place has of course vanished without trace!

I replaced the N/S boot a couple of years ago using a spare one that I originally bought for my old ‘87 2.0GL Sierra so I have the part number for that. However if I Google that number it references a (non P/S) Mk1 Sierra. The problem is that a Mk 1 Sierra rack has the same (small) diameter at both ends, whereas my rack has a larger diameter at the O/Side.

I tried the universal type from CBS but the O/Dia is too large and it fouls the bumper support tubes. I have seen other universal ones but they are nasty plastic, not the more durable rubber type.

Details of my rack and gaiters are as follows:

O/Side N/Side
    Rack Dia 50mm 33mm
    Gaiter Max O/Dia 63mm 63mm
    Gaiter wwwwww “Corrugations” 13 16
    Steering Arms Dia 12.5mm 12.5mm
    Gaiter Part No ? 83BB-3K661-BD
    Rack Part Number ?
    Vehicle Application ?
    Can anyone throw any light on this please? Peter.

Re: Steering Rack Identification / Gaiters Part Number for Hunter

Hi Pete,
    if you register on the Firstline website for their e-catalogue it will give you all the dimensions of their steering rack gaiters.
    I looked at a few Ford options and the Mark IV Cortina looks a likely candidate.
    Firstline part number FSG3034 looks like it might fit?

Or just put FSG3034 into the ebay search bar and you wil see the dimensions.
    Good luck, peter
    Last edited by Peterx; 30-01-14, 11:18 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Re: Steering Rack Identification / Gaiters Part Number for Hunter

Many thanks for the feedback Peter. I am not convinced that the FSG3034 are the right ones as the small diameter is 10mm whereas my steering arms are 12mm. Also the boots are noticably different lengths whereas mine are fairly similar. Will register with Firstline as you suggest when I get a moment and see what else I can find. Peter.

Comment

Working...
      X