Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much can you narrow a tunnel for extra seat / hip width ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much can you narrow a tunnel for extra seat / hip width ?

It wasn't until it got dark that I was well enough to go outside to play. First time since the Roadster was delivered on Saturday. Anyway whilst sitting in the car I had a "funny turn" so had to wait almost 1/2 hour before I was capable of getting out again. During this time I assessed some of the jobs that need doing like repositioning handbrake (currently on drivers side of tunnel - going for a pull and turn dash mount type), impossible to see standard Marina tacho so might omit one when revamping the dash and just have speedo + aux gauges, seat will go back another 3" thus creating a little more legroom, dropped pan needed to avoid head rubbing against hood (floor ply needs replacing anyway), no screen demisters so going the Mini heater route, wiring terrible so will probably start again from scratch (looking at receipts faulty electrics a common MOT fail and lots of bodge type repairs), don't like ignition switch buried so deep under the dash so will forgo steering lock and mount a new switch on dash (security will be detachable steering wheel that can be padlocked in rear or passenger footwell) are some of the things that stood out.
    Biggest problem however was lack of seat width. Liveable but if I'm changing floor and making dropped seat pans might as well look into narrowing the tunnel at same time.
    Obviously it needs a look underneath to check out clearance between the prop and tunnel sides but seeing it's wet I don't feel like lying down just yet
    From other peoples experiences how much can you narrow the tunnel without problems ? Does the prop hit the side during hard cornering ? Is a panhard rod needed to help control prop side to side movement ? Of course fuel and brake pipes would be relocated from inside the tunnel.

Paul H

Re: How much can you narrow a tunnel for extra seat / hip width ?

Hi Paul
    You should be able to relocate the handbrake to the passenger side without the need to for pull and turn.

Marlin use to supply a lowered floor for those who are tall. John Brice (PM Him) might be able to help as he has the version with the lowered floor pan and may be able to get some pictures.

The Mini heater is a big lump for our cars; I am in the throws of changing mine to a T7 Micro heater. I adapted the mini one I have so that it was smaller, you can have it for free if you wish?

With regards narrow tunnel, others on the forum will be able to help, if you can wait till I get home on Friday I will take some pictures of what it looks like from the top looking into the tunnel, which may help?

Panhard rod, always a good idea for handling anyway.

You can take the fuel and brake pipes down the passenger side, I have seen this done many times.

Adrian
    Last edited by listerjp2; 28-01-14, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Paul, YKC managed to reduce the rear part of the tunnel to approx 75mm and lower the floors to almost the bottom line of the chassis. The hand brake was located forward to the passenger side giving a much better ( pull ) operation. However this car did not have a live axle, leaf springs etc. So I feel you are on the right lines reducing any axle movement as much as can be. The YKC cars managed approx 50mm extra seat width.

Comment

Thanks for replies.
        The rear axle of my Minor used to skip about on tight mini roundabouts so some sort of better locations of the Marina item is probably a good idea
        In the spares pile is a Midget handbrake so will look at that as an alternative to the current one as could be an easier option than dash mount. My Sprite had a chrome item and never thought I'd find a use for the plain black version off an 1500 rubber bumper I broke years ago !
        99.9% of the time I'll be by myself (the Roadster is a motorbike substitute seeing my health is such I can't ride anymore) so relocating handbrake to passenger side is good idea.

Paul H

Comment

If you want to go the Panhard route, and keeping with your Midget theme, This may be an answer!

Comment

Working...
          X