Marina Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Roadster

Well call me stupid but I have bought another one! With the Romero in the garage still awaiting a windscreen and some final fetling I decided I wasn't busy enough and bought another, this time a 1.8TC Marina based roadster. The car has been sat in a garage for over 14 years and needs restoring and my target is to get it to Stoneleigh this year. It was originally built to a beautiful standard around 1985-8. Since being sold on 96 having covered only 5000 miles it has languished in a garage doing nothing. I bought it unseen (not recommended) based on photos which look really good but its clear there is a lot to do. First task will be to replace the leaking radiator, clean out the 1990s fuel and replace the brake rubber parts. Then unsieze the engine, free off the clutch etc. So, now having two of these build diaries on the go I guess I ought to go and get busy!

4.jpg

Re: Marina Roadster

Welcome to the multi Marlin club................looking forward to more pics and info.................and of course to seeing it at Stoneleigh (this year) LoL

DC

Comment

Cheers DC - the pic makes it look quite nice Topwise it is superficial and a cut and polish will bring the paint back up but theres a fair bit of orange metal underneath and some rather lovely unctious underseal which looks like its some kind of mange. Chassis number is 21209 and it was first registered to a Mr Alexander in Preston. It arrived with a full build manual and some other useful bits but also a lovely album of photos showing the build itself which looks to have been of a very high standard. I will scan them in when i get a minute.

Comment

It looks good. The tyres will be rather old and have probably flat spots so plenty to keep you busy! regards Liz

Comment

Finally got ten mins today, having lost one of my three chimneys in the storm I have been trying to get that sorted out as well as booking a half term break to somewhere sunny. So, took the spark plugs out, poured in a little releasing fluid and then some 10w40 - bearing in mind I dont know if the engine will turn or not I thought it was a good idea to find out what was what. After a reasonable length of time I popped it into 4th gear and gently rocked it back and forth and voila - engine turns! I have left my magic mix in the engine to give it a good soak and hopefully prevent any damage from a stuck ring later. The radiator has a lot of rust staining on it from the cap area but its too tight to move yet - Im banking on a new rad - probably get a four core jobby with a remote filler.
          Once the engine is spinnning freely I will clean out the fuel and water systems anyway. I intent to re-seat the cylinder head so there's likely a lot to be done but it would be nice if I can get her to run before taking it to pieces too much.
          Thankfully the previous owner seems to have stored the old girl well (or my kids are trying to get me to call it "Brum" - not happening!) and removed the battery. Anyone got any recommendations for the best size?

Comment

Hiya Cameron

Does the battery have a holder at present i.e. a tray of some type, if so then a Exide Excel 45Ah EB451 should do.

Could you do with some extra room under the bonnet?

Then a PowerVamp PVR25 Battery which is small and powerful and can be used even on its side.

Adrian
            Last edited by cameronfurnival; 19-02-14, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks Adrian. The battery is in the boot area. I purchased the one you recommended but it wouldnt fit unless I used vaseline and a mallet. So I took it back and got a slightly smaller one which fits fine. So....I pulled the plugs in order to give it a whizz following from my turn-by-hand attempts which met with positive reactions ie it did turn without any noises or scraping. Not a dicky bird, Not even any dashboard lights! 13/14 v from the battery, all the way to the starter. hmm. Chekc fuses...hey whats that black thing (nearly said where it was then!) immobiliser switch turned on and we have lights. Spin on the starter. Great!
              Next disconnect fuel from the carbs and connect my own new jerry can of fuel to the pump. It coughed, it spluttered and on the third turn of the key the beast burst into life. Its running rough on three out of four cylinders and petrol is spewing out of the carbs...but it RUNS!!! Ign light stayed on and the alternator sounds like its filled with spanners so a new one is needed.
              Right, off to ebay to order new bits...lovely.

Comment

Cameron
                I have 2 functional 17ACR alternators kicking about if you need them. Might have a few other bits & pieces as well...what else do you need..?
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Jez you are fab! The car is pretty much complete but I am going to have to rebuild the brakes and probably flush and clean the antifreeze. I am just about to order four new plugs and some braided fuel hose. Then its a rebuild of the carbs. Then its MOT time then its best in show at stoneleigh! lol. If you are going this year want to go down in convoy?

Oh yes...help? I found in the bag of bits that came with the car two stainless steel cylinders about two inch diameter and a foot long. I was thinking they might be some sort of bumper embellishment? Any ideas?
                  Last edited by cameronfurnival; 04-03-14, 08:11 PM. Reason: added a bit

Comment

Good news Camerom
                    Rgds DC

Comment

I'm working at home this week...give me a shout if you want to collect an alternator or 2...might be able to find some braided brake hoses and usable Greenstuff pads and maybe a coil & some spare carb jets as well :-)
                      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                        Thanks Adrian. The battery is in the boot area. I purchased the one you recommended but it wouldnt fit unless I used vaseline and a mallet. So I took it back and got a slightly smaller one which fits fine. So....I pulled the plugs in order to give it a whizz following from my turn-by-hand attempts which met with positive reactions ie it did turn without any noises or scraping. Not a dicky bird, Not even any dashboard lights! 13/14 v from the battery, all the way to the starter. hmm. Chekc fuses...hey whats that black thing (nearly said where it was then!) immobiliser switch turned on and we have lights. Spin on the starter. Great!
                        Next disconnect fuel from the carbs and connect my own new jerry can of fuel to the pump. It coughed, it spluttered and on the third turn of the key the beast burst into life. Its running rough on three out of four cylinders and petrol is spewing out of the carbs...but it RUNS!!! Ign light stayed on and the alternator sounds like its filled with spanners so a new one is needed.
                        Right, off to ebay to order new bits...lovely.
                        Hi Cameron

Didn't realise it was in the boot!

Well done.

It's good to see members helping each other.

Keep it going.

Adrian

Comment

Popped off to sunny Telford (it was!) and saw Jez and after a coffee and chat, put the world to rights etc we went into his Aladdin's cave of a garage. He is converting his roadster to cycle wings and is making a lovely job with some innovative side steps too.
                          Anyway, I have been toiling away with young Brad in the garage and we have rebuilt the front callipers with new seals etc, replaced the alternator and have begun to rebuild the carbs.
                          NOw young Brad like the wheels (Cosmic Ribsters I believe) and thinks they are really cool old-school (whatever that means) but as the car had been stood for 15 years or so I cant risk taking it on the road on its old tyres. Easy - look at the old ones and get new ones to match - well these are 205/60/R13 and I think that's wrong. As far as I can tell the Marina donor would have had 145/70 that's a difference of around 7.5%. So any advice on what size tyres I should go for? The car is on a marina gearbox and axle with the marina speedo.

Comment

Hi Cameron

Both mine are shod with 185's.

Do yours sit inside the wing line?

5.5 Rims shod with 185-70-13's

This is what was recommended by Marlin.

Adrian
                            Last edited by listerjp2; 11-03-14, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Yes Adrian they JUST within the wing. I will change for the size you stated many thanks

Started on the carbs today - all gunged up with ancient yellow petrol. Coming up good though. Worried about the heat shield - made of very thin metal and chinks of crumbling asbestos -its gone straight in the bin and I have made a new one out of a sheet of 2mm ally plate. Looks good will remember to take a picture soon.
                              Last edited by cameronfurnival; 11-03-14, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X