Marina Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina Roadster

Some Marinas, mostly export, were fitted with a heat-shield between the Fuel Pump and the block. Not sure that it achieved much, but may payback with ethanol fuels.
    Some MGB heat-shields will fit the twin carb Marinas but the throttle linkage is different and the thinned down spacers, to squeeze the carbs in, may make fitting a shiny new stainless one a bit difficult.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Pics of my home-made heat-shield. Fitted easy and actually makes access to the carb bolts much simpler too. I simply measured a piece of ally and punched out some holes, drilled the rest then chopped and filed it. Looks better than the original too (and will be more effective).

heatshield.jpg

heatshield2.jpg

Comment

Nice Job.

Adrian

Comment

Well its good to share the failures on here too! My lovely clean carbs have a problem; one of them leaks like a sieve. It not the bottom gasket but looks like somewhere around the id tag on the float chamber side. So its all coming off again when I get a second. Note to self - don't scrimp on rebuild kits whilst cleaning stuff. However, good news was that the engine ran sweetly even though it was depositing fuel onto the exhaust at an alarming rate. Someone told me that fuel on a hot exhaust isn't likely to cause a fire as the petrol will evaporate too quick. Brake fluid on the other hand is lethal. I don't really want to be the one who tests this out so its back to stage one.
          Another epic fail is that none of the gears engage! they do with the engine off but not with it running so I'm guessing the clutch isn't as free as I thought - more fun to be had there. Right, pinot grigio calls and hopefully there will be no irate members emailing me tonight.

Comment

I'm cool, enjoy your wine.

Adrian

Comment

Have you been reading this?

or this?
              http://sucarb.co.uk/downloadfiles/su...june%2008).jpg

Nothing mentions Pinot Grigio!
              MOC member since 05/97
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Well Im not so daft as I thought. Carbs off in a trice this lunchtime (thanks to my cunning new heatshield) and strip down reveals no faults whatsover. The fuel was coming from the overflow (relief tube/orifice) but the float was working and so was the valve. Back on the car the problem was back - I think its the fuel pump not cutting out so Im now going to strip that down next. Its a black lucas electric one.

Comment

Not a standard Marina mechanical one?
                  How is the electric pump wired? I have seen the oil pressure switch used as a cut off, always assuming you get good oil pressure on starter motor alone. Not ideal IMHO.
                  MOC member since 05/97

Comment

The electric pump is mounted on the bulkhead and is in fact a Moprod part. I took it to pieces and as you would expect nothing to fix. I powered it up on the bench and even with the outlet completely blocked up it continues to pump. I have ordered a new one in any case. It is wired up Steve simply by taking an ign live from teh wiper motor and earthing there too. Ideally pumps need to push rather than suck so it ought to be in the back somewhere but its accessible and must have worked ok before so I will leave it (or the replacement) where it is.

Onto the front suspension next. I cant seem to find the bushes that go on the end of the front tie bars, they seem to be called Pads in the manual. Item 22 in the pic. I found some at superflex for about £25 a set and Earlpart do them for £7.50 but I need to talk to them first. Anyone have a recommendation?

Capture1.JPG

Comment

From experience, go the superflex route, poly bushes are far better, certainly on the tie rods.
                      I also replaced with poly bushes on front and rear of the rear springs, driving thereafter seemed more predictable and to go better in straight lines.

Rgds DC

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                        From experience, go the superflex route, poly bushes are far better, certainly on the tie rods.
                        I also replaced with poly bushes on front and rear of the rear springs, driving thereafter seemed more predictable and to go better in straight lines.

Rgds DC
                        Superflex all the way. Whilst you are there, consider changing the eyebolt bushes as well.
                        The bushes listed for the shock absorber on the super flex website are not needed.
                        But if you are going super flex, consider also the ones on the rear leaf springs and hangers, they alone tighten the back end up quite a lot.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Cheers

Comment

I'm with DC.

Adrian

Comment

Back to the carbs: New pump arrived and still fuel coming out of the overflow. It must be the needle valve surely. NO loss, the fuel pump was a bit intermittent and noisy so nothing lost there. SO off to Burlen to find the bits. MGB Carbs? No. Marina Carbs? No. Turns out I have a pair of HIF6s as fitted to the 2.2 Austin Princess...AUD697F&R carbs in fact. Now back in my youth I actually did a clutch change on one of them and I know for a fact it was a six cylinder lump. SO what the blooming henry are they doing on my engine? Was this a common swap? Have I got it wrong? Any advice would be welcome as at this moment in time Im thinking I may go back to MGB Carbs.

Comment

HIF6 or HS6 were a performance upgrade for HS4/HIF44...but probably a bit OTT for an otherwise standard B-series engine IMHO. But then I found it hard enough getting twin HS4 to work reliably
                                Single HS6 works well...and I recall an exchange with the guy at Maniflow who suggested that there was little benefit to twins over a single, other than aesthetics (or perhaps badge-snobbery - i.e. MG's have to have twins).
                                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Working...
                                X