Roof rack on Roadster ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof rack on Roadster ?

Normally people seem to load up a rack on the rear but I wonder if anyone has ever fitted a roof rack instead ? I'm thinking of a frame that attaches to the windscreen surround and also rear bumper. That way a storage box could be carried as well as ability to move ladders, timber, pushbikes etc. Frame made slightly higher than hood so that if was still possible for it to be used.

This sort of thing at windscreen end -

Paul H

Re: Roof rack on Roadster ?

Isn't the best, option likely to be a trailer, apart from the storage of it when not in use.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

A roof rack on a Roadster ???????.

No offence is intended by the way, but I think that's daft !.

I think you should be considering another vehicle if you are serious.

edit: the thought did make me smile though.

Neil.

Comment

Why is it so daft ?
        I've read in some of the original sales literature that the windscreen frame is strong enough to carry a dinghy etc so Marlin must have though it worth mentioning. People laugh about the towbar on my Smart but it pulls my small Erde 102 trailer (I've also got a 8'x4' flatbed) just the same as either my Skoda Fabia, Peugeot Expert or Mahindra MM540 so just opens up the options - same with the idea of a roof rack on a Marlin. Yesterday I saw a 62 reg Merc convertible with roof down and several bales of hay on the back seat. That is the kind of thinking I agree with - use / adapt rather than saying to oneself "use another vehicle".

Paul h
        Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 09-02-14, 12:32 PM.

Comment

My ex boss, in his youth and early twenties made a frame up for his Morgan so that he could take his canoe to division 1 slalom events all over the country and on to the Continent. He fixed scaffold poles upright from the front and rear bumpers and then 2 more front to back and a couple of diagonal braces. It also meant he could carry all his camping gear inside the canoe. Nothing daft about it. Yet another example of good old necessity being the mother of invention

Comment

The idea isn't as daft as it sounds. Last year we met a couple in a Westfield who had fabricated a roof rack using the roll over bar behind the seats and had 2 suitcases on top and were off to Southern Spain for the winter. If I was making one I think I'd put a sheet of plywood on the rack to act as a rain cover ( or sun shade...ha! ) as well. The steering may go a bit light possibly.
            Good luck, I say!
            Gareth.

Comment

There was someone in one of the kitcar mags not so long ago had a formula 27 or locost or similar and he made a complete roll cage which was intended solely as a frame on which to mount a top box. It looked good and worked well. I guess on a raodster you could pick up mountings from the seatbelt pillars and go from there?

Comment

There was a picture kicking about(can't find the bugger) of Paul Moorhouse with a prototype that had a 30ft boat mast lashed on top of it so any thing is probable if not possible.
                Last edited by b_caswell; 09-02-14, 05:27 PM.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Necessity may be the mother of invention but I agree with Neil, Bl---y daft idea, a bit like power steering. If you way up the time spent actually parking/reversing etc its just not worth the effort.[NO PUN INTENDED !!!!]
                  Just to qualify I've driven 3 Roadster , 2 Cabrio's and 1 Sportster , none had power steering nor In my opinion did they need it. Oh and I'm a slim? 5ft 9 65 year old!

Comment

Way? weigh . Whey. Damn the English language

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                      Necessity may be the mother of invention but I agree with Neil, Bl---y daft idea, a bit like power steering. If you way up the time spent actually parking/reversing etc its just not worth the effort.[NO PUN INTENDED !!!!]
                      Just to qualify I've driven 3 Roadster , 2 Cabrio's and 1 Sportster , none had power steering nor In my opinion did they need it. Oh and I'm a slim? 5ft 9 65 year old!
                      On the other hand I'm 56 and am disabled. Two strokes have left me weak in both legs and right arm / hand so driving something without PAS can be a maul. Should I not then consider a conversion to enable me to still drive the type of cars I like ? I've had to give up learning to fly (CAA doctor says I can never fly solo due to brain injury / conditions), can't walk more than a few steps and then have to use two sticks / leg and foot brace, can't sail, can't ski, can't cycle, can't ride motorbike (I've got 5 plus a quad), and many other things so I'll be dammed if I restrict myself to just euroboxes
                      If you have sign problems then you wear glasses. If you have hearing problem then use a hearing aid. If you have leg problems then you use stick / mobility buggy (I've got two) So if you have arm strength issues power steering is the logical solution to still allow driving.

Paul H
                      Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 09-02-14, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Odd as it may seem (from me).

I can actually understand a requirement for power steering for those less able, same applies for an auto box.

I have actually seen a car (none kitcar) which had a servo assisted clutch mod, for a less able person. That person didn't want an auto box.

I personally still think a roof rack is a daft idea, but I wouldn't want to criticise anyone for doing it.

I support you on your stand about euroboxes - that's why I have 2 X Triumph Stags & a Marlin Roadster.

Daily hack for winter / cold & wet is almost a eurobox though - a Land Rover FL2.

Neil.

Comment

You might like to see this ‘Quantum Xtreme’ (Stoneleigh 2006) with a roof rack and trailer. Stoneleigh 2006 039a.jpgStoneleigh 2006 038a.jpg

Comment

When you use your Marlin as an everyday car, the idea of a windscreen to roll bar rack makes a lot of sense. I used to use the Marlin when I worked as a signwriter and carried an aluminium ladder between the hood frame and windscreen frame. I carry lengths of wood on the wings and have carried a bicycle on the rear bumper. Most fun was transporting a small tree as a passenger. The great thing about Marlin ownership is not giving a hoot what other people think otherwise I would have scrapped it years ago

Comment

This is why the cars are as individual as the owners, we don't want a eurobox, we want to express ourselves and our creativity.
                              Long may we continue to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X