Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More water coming into car interior

Hi guys
    Back in November last, I started a thread about rainwater entering my Hunter's interior (beneath the dashboard), and with some help from members I thought I had tracked down the source in front of the windscreen wiper area. I cleared the slot either side of the battery, plus the usual leaves and junk, and for good measure installed a pipe to take away water from this area should the slot get filled with junk. Also, I applied quality exterior gun-sealant around all of the various nuts & bolts after thoroughly drying out the territory. I thought this amount of work had nailed the problem, and the odd shower made no impression.

Maybe it's not that surprising with all of the recent rain that we have experienced, the leak has recurred: on the both sides of the central console. No great amounts, but a bit niggling all the same. I plan to remove the bonnet and the cover over the wiper area again, and check that the sealant hasn't come undone. Before doing this, I thought it worthwhile to ask if anybody has any other ideas. Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: More water coming into car interior

I suffered wet right sock for 2 years whilst I went through everything you have (on a Roadster though) and I decided it was rainwater washing off the end of the bonnet and then finding its way back underneath the end of the bonnet. I went to B&Q and bought 2 mtrs of 3/16" aluminium angle and 2 mtrs of 3/16" square U channel. I fixed the one to the other to make a saucepan like extrusion and then fixed that to the underside of the scuttle. I fixed a copper tube to the outer end of the channel and fashioned it to come forward and then down so that water simply ran down the channel, down the tube and dripped onto the road rather than my sock. I have had dry socks for about 12 years now (although I have changed them occasionally !!)
    Last edited by keith_h; 13-02-14, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Mike
      I repeat a previous post, CHECK WIPER SPINDLE SEALS. If they haven't split they are almost certainly to have gone hard by now. I had resealed various items like you to no avail , then replaced the aforementioned seals. NO MORE LEAKS IN ANY WEATHER.

Comment

Mate had water leak in a Renault Espace that was coming down the wiper spindles. Unfortunately seals weren't available as a spare part - you had to buy the whole wiper system. Needless to say he looked for an alternative and found valve guide seals worked perfectly so worth remembering if proper wiper seals not easy to source.

Paul H

Comment

Thanks Guys
          You have given me some more things to look for and do. I would admit to forgetting about the wiper spindles. That's a problem with my calendar! I'll come back with a conclusion.
          Cheers
          Mike

Comment

Hi - As I recall, the spindle seals are no more than ordinary wiring grommets! It's worth putting a bit of silicon lubricant in them, so the spindles turn easily, but it is difficult to get them to stay put in the bodywork without rotating. Another thing I added was a small lip at the bottom of the screen - a couple of inches long - above each spindle. This directs water away from the spindles, as it tends to flood down from the wipers at these points. Hope it helps! Dave

Comment

Firstly, I would like to say thanks to the Committee (or whoever) for changing the website to a white background and decent size font. Much easier to use & read.
              Secondly, while the rain persists, I will not strip down the wiper spindles etc. Maybe as a quick short-term fix (between now and May!), I could bury the spindle area with copper-ease grease or similar? Worth a try! Need to get it all dry beforehand - what chance?
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X