2.0 Pinto engine rough on tickover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.0 Pinto engine rough on tickover?

Can anyone help, have a 2.0 OHC Pinto with a Webber carb fitted, engine starts and runs well but on tickover it is very lumpy and shakes the car. Have tried adjusting the distributor but no real effect. Engine has only done 3000 miles.

Re: 2.0 Pinto engine rough on tickover?

Clamp off the vacuum hose to the brake servo and see if it alters. If it does check servo for leaks.
    Phil

Comment

I will try that when I get it running again, started earlier but now lost spark no power at coil so got to find what that is. Oh the joys of kit cars got to put my 1980's head back on and remember how these old engines used to work.. been a long time..

Comment

Go through the ususal suspects

HT leads, plugs, points, timing, Pull of a lead and see if it makes a difference etc etc - - ah the 1980's - the music was as dodgy as some of the engines!!

Comment

which carb Ian? Its quite possible that the weber has the wrong idle jet in it as they are so easy to swap over. It may have been 'improved' in the past. You should be able to get a full list of the appropriate jets (the numbers are stamped on them), brand new jets are about a fiver (main jets even cheaper).

Comment

Does it have an electric choke? Just remembered I had a similar issue with my old 2.0GL Sierra. The electrical connection had failed inside the unit. Try removing it from the side of the carb and use a rubber band on the small operating fork to hold the choke plates fully open and see how it idles then. Peter.

Comment

Looks like it is a carb issue stripped it down and its a mess inside so have just ordered a new one see how that goes.

Comment

New Carb and ignition system fitted and now runs much better still not as smooth as I remember my old mk3 Cortina with the same engine, but maybe a good drive will sort it once its passed its MOT.

Comment

out of curiousity, what type of carb did you fit? my currently non running roadster has a 1.8 pinto and a pierburg 2e3 carb. Im curious as to what type of air filter to fit for it ..

Comment

Hi it is fitted with a Weber 32/36 DGV manual choke and an ITG foam filter.

Comment

has the engine been modified during rebuilt? e.g. flywheel lightened or different cam fitted?

if yes..such mods have influence on idling.

Comment

Working...
                      X