Wire Wheels for Marina Based Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Wheels for Marina Based Marlins

A little while ago there was a thread about fitting wire wheels to a Marina based Marlin.

I have had a response from Chic Doig Classic Sprortscars in Scotland regarding the Ebay items number:351017541692 below:

Hi Adrian Thanks for the inquiry .

These hubs Will fit your Marina hubs fine and if you want to use 42mm hub 14 Or 15inch Diameter wheels these will be ideal .

If you want to use the std Spitfire Herald 13inch wheels you can use the cheaper std Spitfire hubs in my shop .

Regards Chic Doig Classic Sportscars Scotland 01592 722999

I suggest you check by ringing first but it may be a way forward for those who wish to go with proper Wire Wheels.

Adrian

Re: Wire Wheels for Marina Based Marlins

I would just be carefull I purchased three sets of second hand hubs MGB, MG Midget and Triumph Spitfire none of which fitted my Marina based car, I was told they need special machining to make them fit.

Comment

I have a full set of Spitfire wire wheel conversion hubs which fit my Roadster ok. All I had to do was tidy up the Marina front hub castings and they fitted straight on. Personally I didnt' like them so took them off again. cheers Chris.

Comment

Hi, Maybe I can shed some light here as I have been through all this.

The wire wheel adaptors for Spitfire / GT6 etc are the correct size for fitting to Triumph origin hubs used on lighter Marinas. The PCD (pitch circle diameter) is 95.25 mm and they have short splines which will only fit the special 4.1/2 J X 13" Triumph wire wheels.

MGB hubs have a PCD of 114.3 mm, these are for converting steel wheel cars to wires. The production wire wheel cars have purpose made splined hubs and shorter rear axles and these are of little use for our purposes. Saying that I looked at adapting an MGB front hub to a Marina stub axle in order to preserve the original pivot point. It could be done with machining and a steel adaptor but I discarded the idea on grounds of cost and safety.

The simplest solution is to go to the MWS International website which is the fount of all knowledge about wire wheels.
        I bought a set of their Kit Car adaptors drilled for 95.25 mm Marina hubs which have the standard longer length of spline which will allow you to fit 13,14 or 15 inch wheels.

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
        A little while ago there was a thread about fitting wire wheels to a Marina based Marlin.

I have had a response from Chic Doig Classic Sprortscars in Scotland regarding the Ebay items number:351017541692 below:

Hi Adrian Thanks for the inquiry .

These hubs Will fit your Marina hubs fine and if you want to use 42mm hub 14 Or 15inch Diameter wheels these will be ideal .

If you want to use the std Spitfire Herald 13inch wheels you can use the cheaper std Spitfire hubs in my shop .

Regards Chic Doig Classic Sportscars Scotland 01592 722999

I suggest you check by ringing first but it may be a way forward for those who wish to go with proper Wire Wheels.

Adrian

Comment

Bolt on wire wheels, without the complication of adaptors, but not the same look, will cost more than £250+ a corner + tyres, new.
          Have a look through http://www.mwsint.com/ for a guide but they have nothing for a Marina but some Triumph use the same PCD.
          Worth checking the offset that might be changed as the standard Marina is 1/2".

Cheaper options from the Triumph stable may be possible like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-wi...item4ad1154fc9

The issue you may have is that second hand rims may have excessive runout and need re-chroming, wire wheel refurbishers are becoming rare, I found one in a village, Cowfold, in Sussex but he was mostly doing classic Motorcycle wheels two plus years ago.

Comment

Something I should have added about re-drilling other hubs is that you are having to drill through the web between the spline and the hub. In fact I drilled a pair of TR4 hubs but didn't feel happy about the strength at the end of it and bought MWS's Kit Car hubs instead.

Comment

Working...
            X