Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Calm and .... .

Alright folks,
    About a month ago I introduced myself as the new owner of a LWB roadster. The original thread is here http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...s-is-a-big-job . Hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks I should start to find myself with some time to actually start getting work done on the blasted thing (the project is running under the name KCCO because reasons).

Caveat – I know sod all about most of these things so I’m learning as I go along.

I’ll throw up a few pictures at random below to give an idea of where I am starting from and will give a rundown here of what I intend to tackle. They are terrible pictures, I get that but it was done in a hurry. Next time I have time and weather I will do a proper job of documenting things.

There are questions thrown in here and there so pay attention!
    Body - First clean and seal. I’ve been taking off any surface rust and cleaning up the panels a little bit at a time. I’m using hammerite underbody seal from halfrauds http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165594

IMG_20140311_162438.jpg

Whilst doing this I’ve been looking for the chassis number but haven’t come across it yet. I read elsewhere its on the frame down near the drivers side front wheel but I cant see anything.
    IMG_20140311_162302.jpg

Wiring – I’ve bought in a new loom that was recommended here by last of the summer wine, sorry I mean Compo. Rebel wiring kit - http://www.langysrodshop.co.uk/wiring_kits.htm . Got the 9+3 circuit. The P&P on the website is wrong. It says £8.50 but it’s actually £12

Which means I also need to think about the lights and the instrument clusters etc. Which bring me to a few thoughts about that. Looking at the prices on the various UK website it strikes me the markup is insane. I use a Chinese site called aliexpress for many things and find that the price direct from there is often about ¼ of the price in the UK. So if anyone wants to have a look for rear clusters, running lights etc that’d be cool.
    The cockpit – right now it’s a shell. I’m going to have to do a new dash and cluster. I have the original but if I change the instrument clusters then it’ll need redoing. Also going to probably change the seats as those original ones are really bloody uncomfortable. Been looking at MX5 seats on ebay. There is a Japanese only breakers yard a few miles away so going to ask them to keep an eye out for one with speakers in the headrest. Soundproofing, carpets, etc.
    Also been thinking about the heater. I’ll probably box it in and if I do then I’ll also give some thought to possible trying to do something about demisters (scavenge something from the breakers yard, drill some holes.

wiring.jpg

Propshaft – this makes me go hmm. It’s a type 9 ford box on the front and a marina on the back. There is a place here in Manchester that does props
    Exhaust – I think the original engine had the exhaust coming out the passenger side and ending somewhere under the passenger door. The pinto has the exhaust on the other side and I want it coming out the back to keep noise down. Another one to have a think about. The car came with a Kawasaki exhaust. I have no idea if that was what was on there but it goes in the parts bin.
    Engine – needs rewiring but seems generally sound. Once I’ve got a bit down the line with the electrics I can spend some time in there. Still need to sort out an air filter. I think this is the way forward http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3905273128...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    And also look at radiator and fan….

IMG_20140311_162323.jpg

So that’s for starters.

PS I’m planning on getting over to Wakefield on the 6th for a good stare so if anyone wants to offer any freebies / swaps I’d be delighted to accept. Although the only swaps I have are the original completely knackered soft top, the utterly ruined carpets, which look like they came from a seventies council house, and a still in bubblewrap wing.

Re: Keep Calm and .... .

Pic shows location of Chassis number plate....probably under layers of paint ?
    Rgds DC
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi
      I dont think MX5 seats will fit, i tried some in a mk1 triumph, roadster and couldnt get them to fit. Even tried cutting some bits off to no avail. so have one complete seat and one cut down one in the loft still.

I do have a number of parts from a uncompleted long wheel base marina based roadster in the garage. Was told all parts to complete. I havent made a list of what is there yet(may get round to it this weekend), but if you are interested in some or all bits send me a mail with what you are looking for and i will see if they are there.I do know that there are a set of new cibie headlights, i think a new set of rear taillights, new seat belts new shocks, brake parts too i think.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTrials View Post
        Hi
        I dont think MX5 seats will fit, i tried some in a mk1 triumph, roadster and couldnt get them to fit. Even tried cutting some bits off to no avail. so have one complete seat and one cut down one in the loft still.

I do have a number of parts from a uncompleted long wheel base marina based roadster in the garage. Was told all parts to complete. I havent made a list of what is there yet(may get round to it this weekend), but if you are interested in some or all bits send me a mail with what you are looking for and i will see if they are there.I do know that there are a set of new cibie headlights, i think a new set of rear taillights, new seat belts new shocks, brake parts too i think.

Dave
        If you are selling the bits separate then I'm interested in the "nose cone" / grill mount or what ever it's called fibreglass moulding

Paul h

Comment

The ramair filter is available with a blank base plate so you can drill it to suit your carb set up, and its available n only 45mm depth

Comment

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
            If you are selling the bits separate then I'm interested in the "nose cone" / grill mount or what ever it's called fibreglass moulding

Paul h
            Hi Paul, i am afraid that bit hs already been sold.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTrials View Post
              Hi

Dave
              bit ofa bugger to hear that about the seats. I measured about 15 inches at the floorpan and then widening from there so thought they might fit. Option 2 is perhaps seats from a Smart car. Ultimately I'm looking for something comfortable to drive rather than just 'exciting'.
              as regards the others then I'm well interested. I have headlights but beyond that its all lacking. I think my priority is probably a propshaft and seatbelts. I have about six belts all in a box and havent had chance o have a look through. Not something i'd want to skimp on though ...

expect a mail !

i know there is a wanted section in the forum and i might utilise that or possibly just put notes in here and see what happens when people pass by ..

Pic shows location of Chassis number plate....probably under layers of paint ?
              Rgds DC
              found it ... under layers of paint as you said. there is possibly a 5 in the number, I'll have to clean it off and have a look.

The ramair filter is available with a blank base plate so you can drill it to suit your carb set up, and its available n only 45mm depth
              there is actually one at 45mm with the plate already cut, for the same price. I saved the 25mm to my ebay watch list as i thought that that one might be an easier fit. I'll be doing some measurements when i can and pick the biggest i can fit and still have some clearance on it.
              Last edited by rooha; 26-03-14, 09:29 PM.

Comment

bit of a silly question but ...........
                M6 bolts. there area lot of them going to be holding panels on. What sort of lengths do people use. 12mm? 16mm? 20mm? basically i cant stand going up and down to screwfix.....

Comment

cleaning up the roof bracket
                  2014411154541.jpg

Comment

well, I've been very quiet here in the diary for some months. I've been up to my eyeballs in a number of work related things so haven't had much chance to do any updating.
                    Over the past while I've been focused on painting. In all honesty it hasn't gone as well as i would like. If i had any advice to people it would be that the more room you have to work whilst painting the better. I haven't had much room so had to construct a CSI style tent in my shed and go at it one piece at a time. I reckon that the job actually took at least 2-3 times longer than if i had appropriate facilities. The finish is reasonable but not great and whilst polishing/waxing helps I suspect I'll be back at it next year to give another coat. I've also started on laying in some carpeting and soundproofing, leaving access to put in new wiring of course. the pictures of that are just a work in progress so shouldn't be taken as any sort of indication of final quality (final quality being have arsed and probably quite pikey).

DSCF0389 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0394 (1024x768).jpgDSCF0386 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0387 (1024x768).jpgDSCF0388 (1024x768).jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X